Avocado trees

Port Bolivar, TX

An avocado tree question. The top third of my avocado trees are dead. There are live braches along the bottom two thirds. Are they salvageable???

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

beck3465, Any idea why the tops are dead? I have seen Avocados seriously burned in a wildfire recover. Some were so bad they were cut down to little more than a stump and they grew new branches and recovered. Growers have been known to cut a variety they wanted to replace back to almost nothing and then graft the new variety onto the old tree and this has worked pretty well without killing the trees. Avocados are resilient, but the first thing you need to determine is why are the tops dead? If you have something serious going on, that needs to be dealt with before your tree(s) will recover.

Port Bolivar, TX

They were left outside in a freeze. They are in pots, not in the ground. Thanks for your reply.
Becky

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

beck3465, OK...they should recover just fine from a freeze that only effected outer branches. I would prune the tree(s) back to a shape you want while you are waiting for them to recover. Have you raised Avocado in a pot before? They will eventually be very large trees and they have a wide spreading shallow root system. I question how well they will adapt to a pot. Are these grafted trees? Don

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.