Red Feathered won't "Feather " !

Mesilla Park, NM

It could be the Bayer System Control that you use that controls all those buggers. I can't use it here, I have pets and it kills all the beneficial bugs too.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

It is hot and humid here and I have aphids on some of my plants already. None on my MGs yet, but most all are I. nils. I get spider mites off and on... and had whitefly last year briefly, but haven't seen that pest since.

I do like I. purpureas vines, but the flowers are so much smaller than the I. nils. I think the biggest I. purpurea bloom I ever had was 3 1/2 inches in diameter, whereas the I. nil blooms get 5-7 inches in diameter. Both cultivars do produce nice bloom flushes, which makes both really eye-catching! I guess I am just a sucker for big and bold with an infinite amount of different patterns on the petals. LOL!

Another reason I grow only a couple I. purpurea vines a year ... This is a heads up to anyone who hasn't ever grown the I. purpurea species of MGs and want to know a little more info ...

I. purpureas - I can honestly say - are somewhat invasive for me here in one of the southern regions of the USA. They reproduce very readily here in my climate. Lots of volunteers! So be careful if your climate is one that they thrive and multiply in! I grow mine in an area where volunteers can't easily root such as (in pots) over concrete or in a pot over a dry bed with mulch or rock. Also, I want to be able to see them to pull up seedlings that I don't want growing and possibly taking over areas of my garden/yard. Southern gardeners have to watch them here in Florida.

(Zone 7a)

Thank goodness for lady bugs :) I suspect the more complex a garden and its surrounds might be, the better the balances between prey and predators might be. That might be another reason MGs in Debra's and my gardens are not plagued outdoors with too many aphids etc. But ya still gotta have the prey in order for the predator to hang around.

And thank goodness for volunteers - I wasn't able to plant much this year, so the volunteer purpurea mgs and cleomes and busy lizzies popping up will provide flowers and fill in the oopsy places until frost.

Karen

ps - fyi - perennials and biennials self-sow here, too - my favorite is that red Lobelia cardinalis - (just let it go to seed if you want more of it and don't disturb the ground where you hope the seed to germinate. I like to mulch these areas BEFORE it goes to seed, so I don't have to disturb these particular places). I do not have the naturally moist conditions that it prefers, but I think it's our clay-based soil with lots of compost dug in that gets it through the dry spells in partial shade.

Mesilla Park, NM

Yeah, ladybugs... and composting is the way to go. I still have to deal with the stuff being sprayed in all the fields in my area, which is all agricultural. I hate to see those small Cessna planes spraying too.

Last year my female golden retriever drank out of a bottom dish that had collected stuff that drained from the plants treated with Bayer Systemic and she was in the Vet Hospital for three days on IVs and then another week recuperating a whopping (3,000) bill... If she had not been over weight at 110 lbs. she would have died. NEVER again will I use that stuff I'd rather not grow these if that is the only alternative. Not pet friendly.. and now we have 8 turtles that are rescues roaming the habitat here, along with lizards, birds, and everything else so I can't risk using chemicals.

Antoinette - I couldn't agree more with you. After calling Bayer a few years ago about this product when it was new, I was told not to use it because I garden for Butterflies and Hummers. It is very toxic and seems to stay in the environment much longer than other fungicides/pesticides. It's one of those products that you also shouldn't use around small children and pets. I wonder if the toxins in the plant pass on in the seeds? I would hate to think so!

I wouldn't be surprised if down the road, they pull that product from the market because it is so toxic with longlasting effects. I'll let nature handle my plants and maybe someday there will more pest/disease resistant cultivars out there. For now though, I'd rather be safe than even consider taking the chance ...

I'm off to do errands and will be back later today! Y'all have a great afternoon!

This message was edited Jul 14, 2010 1:56 PM

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Hay MJ, has your hige bloomed with feathers yet?
I use a mix of ammonia, epsom salts, superthrive, a little tea tree oil, a can of beer and some low phosphate high nitrogen mix for my spraying around here. I have pure neem oil for the mix to use in the soil. If I see lil black bugs, I add some soap, if I see worms, I pick them off, and if there is a grass hopper, I catch it and feed it to the spider, if it is a slug, I pick it off and squish it, and snails? LOL I have fun finding them and then stomping them as they crunch. My hummer is back, ( The baby from last year) I have not seen His Mom and Dad yet. Have to say I love the other bugs, and so do my birds. They are great bugger machines. If I get a plant infested with something major, I use it as a sacrifice plant, wait till it gets loaded up with bad bugs, and pull it out dirt and all and bag it and dumpster it. I add milk to the mix if I see mildew. I know I am crazy

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I see RED !!! There are little red buds forming........whooo hooo.
I've not ever had aphids or any other "bug" on my MG's. They did get rust late in the year last year.
I ripped out two huge Confederate Rose's last year because of white flies. Won't have them again !!

Debra, ok...give up the measurements for the ingredients in your concoction ! I hate to use any chemicals either, as I garden for BF's and Hummer's also.

just take a gallon jug, add a can of beer, 12 drops of tea tree oil, a cup of epsom salts, a half cup of ammonia, about two table spoons of dark molassas, about 6 drops of super thrive ( or a super B vitamin tablet will do) and some good high nitro fertilizer, add water, add to sprayer and spray. If using for soil drench add neem oil. I do use neem in the spring and early summer for foliar spraying, but not when temps are high and sun is scorching. Add one cup of milk if using as a spray for mildew. ( Keeps it off my monardas and lilac bush) ... Hope this helps, this recipe came from the brug forum. I like its' smell. Also, if you use your coffee grounds as a mulch, it does deter alot of bugs and slugs. I used to bring home used coffee grounds by the buckets, but we changed machines. Now I use sharp sand around my Important Plants. I know, I'm crazy. MJ, here is the first bloom from the salvia I got from you.. it smiled at me this am when I went out before work.. thanks so much!

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra - The first part of your recipe above sounds like a Fertilizer mix. The others sound like homemade remedies for plant ailments! Pretty cool! That's how folks did it for centuries before pesticides/fungucides were developed. You'd make a fine pioneer woman back in the 1700 and 1800 centuries!

Two blooms opened this morning ! I'll take another pic when it's lighter out !

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Another shot a bit later

Thumbnail by mjsponies

from the side , pretty cool !

Thumbnail by mjsponies

That is awsome! I just love Higes. Congratulations!

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Very Pretty!
And, worth the wait. You will for sure enjoy these blooms

Pretty little feathered bloom! Would love to see a photo of your entire vine! I always love those large heart-shaped leaves on the I. purpureas!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2010 9:05 AM

here's a pic of the vine.... lots more buds forming. I really love this, I'll have to grow some different Higes
gotta get back outside, I've been running back and forth all morning.......
How often should it be fertilized ?

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Thanks, MJ! Lovely vine! I fertilize every 3-4 weeks during the growing season. :-)

Nice place ya got there! Love the doggie hiney! LOL! Too cute!

East Bridgewater, MA

MJ, lovely red HIGE!

(Zone 7a)

MJs - what a beautiful portrait of a red hige - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7969847 - thank you

karen

Blue, I just really happy it's blooming ! We got a great rain this afternoon, and there's lots of buds, so I hoping for a new show in the morning !
Now I'm all geared up for some different ones !

(Zone 7a)

looking forward to the show :)

me too! You have a great growing area there.

more open today, and lots more buds........guess it just needed more time...

Thumbnail by mjsponies

MJ,
That is incredibly beautiful.

Emma, I can say that this is one of the best seed purchases I ever did !!
I'll definitely be growing this one again ! The Hummers and Butterfly's have been visiting it alot so that is an extra bonus !
Thank you !

I really like the HIGEs too, MJ
Especially the Reds.

Wait until your vine is in full bloom. You will love it even more

East Bridgewater, MA

Lovely. definately worth the wait!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Beautiful red Mj.

MJ, that is outstanding! Congrats!

(Zone 7a)

I don't think I could look at the flower and see it as well as I can see it in your photo - very nice :)

Thanks guys...We're supposed to get rain today and tomorrow...Thank goodness, so that should encourage more blooming.

Well since this is the only MG I have blooming at the moment, you guy's will have to suffer thru more Red Feathered pics.
It's up over the top of the arbor and is about to meet up with the Cross Vine....

Thumbnail by mjsponies

here's a pic from the side, there are alot of blooms, just can't see them because of the leaves.......
Question? should I thin it out some ?

Thumbnail by mjsponies
East Bridgewater, MA

What a beautiful vine! Very healthy and vigorous!

Personally, I would not thin it, but if you want more blooms, the experts on this forum might suggest otherwise.

MJ,
I do trim out my huge leaves sometimes, and any that turn yellow. Just don't get carried away. Also, remove the leaves a little at a time a few days apart and your vines shouldn't notice

I remove large leaves that are right next to the bud, the night before, so it can unfurl nicely. Leaves feed the plant I think. I have trimmed the runners off alot tho. I wouldn't have a house if I didn't. LOL It looks wonderful MJ!

Ok...I'll do some trimming....I'm letting it run down the fence too......could get interesting ! lol

I can't wait to see more of yur flower blooms. I am anxious. LOL

MJ - What other vines have you got growing currently?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.