Can anyone tell me the nameof this glad?

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

A friend gave me some glad bulbs and had no idea of names/IDs. This came up in my yard and I absolutely love it. Does anyone have any idea of the name? Thanks!

Di

Thumbnail by janaestone
Delphi, IN

It looks like Priscilla to me, but I don't recall that much yellow. I'll have to look at mine tomorrow if one is in bloom. I've got photos, but not sure where they are. I like Priscilla because it's very hardy for a glad and I winter mine over in the ground.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

I'd appreciate it, TsFlowers. I've had mine for quite some time now and I've never taken them out of the ground here. When I first received them I didn't even know you were supposed to take glads up for winter - lol -luckily for me, they come back every year.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

"Priscilla" that I found it elsewhere being called a "heirloom hybrid" is an eXXellent recommendation.
I am in awe about the blooms that I got out of 7 corms. I wonder that not one single person has documented about raising their own progeny from seed out of such noble SwordLilies. That I shall do this, provided that I receive seeds from self pollination of "Priscilla", and crosspollination ON "Mon Amour". - The latter are "weaker" as compared to vigorous Priscilla, and the spikes are yet to emerge from the respective leaf fans.

Thumbnail by haweha

Are Garden Gladiolas self fertile?

Thumbnail by haweha

Has anybody raised progeny from "Dutch" Gladiolas?

Thumbnail by haweha
Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Di, I have that one too. I always thought it was either Wind Song or Priscilla but wasn't sure. Mine multiply by the gzillions, how about yours?

"gzillions"...
Did your Gladiolas, of that kind, produce seeds? And did you obtain seedlings? I self pollinated each flower, and now I perceive nice, plump seed pods that are forming under the dry flowers. If all works well then I should obtain gzillions of seeds.

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

No I didn't get seeds, I get bulbettes.

Thumbnail by roxxanne

My observations indicate, that "Priscilla" is prevailing in the gardens in our environment. They produce truly BIG florets from better bulbs (as copmpared to thiose that I had purchased).
After self pollination, there is at least 31 seed pods growing, and obviously the spikes withn these green knobs have some decorative value, too.

Enjoy Gladiolus "Mon Amour" associated with seedy spikes of "Priscilla"

Thumbnail by haweha
Rochester, MN

I don't understand your fasination with pollination. You seem to want to preserve the parent variety, 'Priscilla', but through pollinating. Why not just grow 'Priscilla' from the bulblets? Bulblets produce flower producing bulbs sooner and there is no chance of cross pollinizing and losing the variety.

Just curious.

Thank you for your interest: I am infected from a serious virus! It is called "the breeder's curiosity" about what is within the crop that is yet to become revealed. If this virus did not exist, then it might well be that "Priscilla" would not even exist.
To my understanding I did not indicate that I intend to create copies (out) of "Priscilla". I have in mind, to create something from this fabulous hybrid, that might fullfill MY personal taste of "floral beauty" even BETTER.
As to the art of cultivation - I am not interested in a mass production UNLESS I had created a precious cultivar and it turned out that there existed a global interest for it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.