Need Help Identifying this HIbby!?

Baton Rouge, LA

Unfortunately our "Rare 15 year freeze" took this lovely hibbie... I really want to replace it...but I'm not sure what it was !!!!

Can you help identify it? Maybe I can special order it. Hibbie website to recommend?

I had ordered some fertilizer from one recommended on here...but I can't really see where it's helping my hibbies....

Hugs,
Mary

Thumbnail by MaryandLance
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Mary,
It looks like "Yellow wings" an older hybrid that grows easily and blooms good in the summer heat. top tropicals carries it.
Kyle :-)

Baton Rouge, LA

Thank you Kyle !

Yes - it DID grow easily... after only the one season...ended up being the largest of all my hibiscus ! AND had plenty of blooms...

I'll google "Top Tropicals"...

THANK YOU !!
Mary

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

4004:
I just found out there is a Red Stick Hibiscus Group there in Baton Rouge.
It may be something you would be interested in.

Baton Rouge, LA

Hello Plantsforpeg !

Thank you SO much... it is definitely something I am interested in... I actually just joined and started getting their emails....

Saw them at the LSU Spring show back in March... and joined... and went to the Hibiscus show last month...

Unfortunately they haven't had any meetings yet so I don't feel as though I am a 'member' yet and haven't really met or gotten into the group. Maybe in June.

Where is Ventress? Do you grow a lot of hibbies ?

Thanks again,
Mary

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I am just outside of New Roads on False River. I have 2 hibs right now and wishing for more. I also collect succulents and bromeliads.

The bromeliad show and sale is in June at Independence Park.

Baton Rouge, LA

Peg - when I joined the hibby club... you get 2 free hibbies... I got a Bon Temp which is doing fabulous and an Acadiana Spring which is sickly.

Even if both don't survive ... I figure the price of membership is worth the plant LOL... maybe you could look into it as well ? Or are you already a member? I love Independence Park.

Hubby and I always laugh about the Sunday gardening article in the paper... the guy always mentions the shows but never the dates so we always feel they are probably over....

RE: Succulents... I just got an epiphylia in a swap... didn't look like much but the hibby president emailed a pic of a bloom and they are just stunning... so I hope I can grow these...

Sorry so many questions !

Mary

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I am thinking about joining, but it would be a 70 mile round trip plus I have a full time job.

If I remember correctly, Bon Temp has a beautiful flower. Try feeding the sickly plant with 1 to 2 Tablespoons of Epsom Salt diluted in 1 gallon of water. It will give the plant much greener richer color. I don't think it promotes blooms though.

I am a Tri Parish Master Gardner which keeps my interest alive. We have an annual sale plus volunteer thoughout the community during the year.

Baton Rouge, LA

Will do ! I think it has mites... so I'm also trying Neem... none of my other hibbies have mites.. even the 2 near it...

Wow a Master Gardener ! How does the process work to become one? I've heard of classes. Don't think I'd ever attain that status but it would be interesting to take a class or two....

Let me know when your annual sale is... Hubby & I would love to come !

Mary

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Our MG annual sale was this past weekend. It was terrific.

I used neem on my hibs last year and it helped. Good luck.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Forgot to say how to become a Master Gardner. In the fall the county agent offers classes once a week for about three months at a fee. I have always been a gardener so the classes did help somewhat. What I gained the most are individuals that share the same interest with me. We do have regular monthly meeting to beautify the community with community projects even at the schools

You must volunteer I think thirty hours plus attend conferences/meetings as twenty educational hours to continue to be certified. The time amounts fast and is on an honor system. You do have to turn in your hours after the year has ended. In return you get a ten percent disc. at nursuries.

It is a great outlet. Hubby even helps with assembling carts for the MG sale and errecting our new community greenhouse. I even have him watering for me once in a while when I get behind.....good family bonding.

Baton Rouge, LA

Thank you Peg !

It is definitely something I would like to look into One Day... Hubby is actually the life long gardener... I suddenly developed an interest 5 years ago... and have been learning all I can ever since. It seems like one of those things that you are always learning....

Thank you for the info and please keep in touch :o)

Mary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.