Forest Pansy Redbud or other red color redbud?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Will this do well in my area, and are there other reddish color foliage red buds or similar trees?
I have a crimson frost birch right now, and it is getting the saw as soon as I find a suitable replacement. I don't like it. the bottom half died, and every year by July the leaves are gone as it cannot take the heat here. A friend of mine said he had a FP redbud and it broke off in a bad storm, but it sprouted around the base and was green?

so any suggestions?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My forest pansy redbuds are doing fine.
They 'green out' toward end of summer, but still a nice tree.

No fall color.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Pretty much every named selection of Eastern Redbud is going to be a grafted or budded plant. That means, a scion of the named plant (say, 'Forest Pansy') is grafted/budded onto the rootstock or understock of a seedling Eastern Redbud. This is done in the dormant season. When the scion breaks bud and starts growing, the seedling rootstock's stem is removed so that all the energy goes into growing the named selection.

If the "top" (named selection scion) dies, breaks off, is eaten by rabbits, etc. - what you will have left is the rootstock. It will likely break a dormant bud and sprout into a new stem, which will simply be growth of an unnamed seedling Eastern Redbud. These will have the standard green leaves.

Common examples of this behavior that almost all gardeners have seen include the suckering from below the graft union on named roses. Today, there may be different rootstocks or understocks used, but when I was responsible for maintaining large rose collections, the standard was a plain red climbing rose. Anytime you saw a long vigorous stem shooting out from around the base of a plant, you could pretty much count on it blooming red and being a climber rather than the named version of hybrid rose that you bought.

Many named shade trees and small ornamental trees are produced this way in order to more rapidly produce a saleable plant, especially with species that are very difficult to root from cuttings. Most of the time this works just fine, but occasionally you'll have problems such as described above.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

ok thanks, that is helpful to know.
I'm not really fond of grafted things, but I guess that is the way they do it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.