Get Rid of the Bad Trumpet Vine

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Need Help folks !

How do you Get Rid of the Bad Trumpet Vine from landscaping areas ?

It's Bad and Every where . at a friends Place !

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Hand-pulling and Roundup are all the weapons I know of - it's a beast in my yard, too - I keep fighting it and have learned to check for it every day.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

I need two options one for NO flowers .

and one with Flowers .

Please.

Sarge

The same as my previous response - it's a demon to get rid of!

Aiken, SC

I am new to Dave's Garden. I happened upon the forum discussion off the internet regarding the
trumpet vine which I planted in the spring of 2009; one plant to grow up a pergola next to my home
and the other to grow up the front of the pergola. After a little more than a year the plants were lush
and growing nicely, however, I kept wondering when they would start to produce flowers. I started
reading the forum and got sick to my stomach as I had no idea this plant was so invasive and destructive and extremely difficult to destroy. I jumped up and ran outside with my clippers and chopped the plants down. My husband and I then tried to dig up the root which was approx 3/4" in diameter. We could not get to the base of the root as it was now growing under our deck. I read in the forum about a product called "Vine-X Vine and Brush Control. I have spent hours on the internet trying to find out where I can purchase Vine X to no avail. Does anyone have any info - it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. PappysMa.

Here is a link to a google.com search I did - you should find it for about $20/pint online.

http://www.arborchem.com/products.asp?uid=1098&p=12

This message was edited Jul 10, 2010 6:26 AM

Aiken, SC

Which link is that re: Vine-X?

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I see Round-Up has made a product for vines. Round-Up for Poison Ivy. If it will kill poison ivy vines it should work on a Trumpet vine also.

I tried to warn my baby sister when she planted a TV next to her deck three years ago. She didn't listen. The thing is engulfing the arbor, the deck railings, and headed for her kitchen. She's going to have some real troubles soon.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

you will be happy to know it is workingfor us and my friends they are findly getting the misarbly thing under con-troll

Retired, can you specify which product is 'working for us'. Thanks!

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Vine-X,

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Pastime, if that blasted vine gets under your sister's house, as it did mine in VA, she will never be rid of it. It kept sending out runners everywhere; kill one, six more sprout nearby. The thing may be native, but it's purely evil.
Ruth

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I know it's evil too. My DD is a horticulturist, and my sis doesn't listen to her either. I couldn't believe the size of the thing when I was there over the 4th. I just shook my head when I saw it. I could pound lumps in her head, maybe then she'll listen, but she's bigger than me. I could hit and run!

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Try Gly 4 or Eraser from Co- op or Tractor Supply

Sarge

Why must people always learn the hard way? Such a stupid, not to mention inefficient, system. And I've done so myself many times, I'm afraid.

Aiken, SC

KayJones - Thanks for your info re: Vine X. FYI I learned from my local Fertilizer and Chemical
agent that the main ingredient of Vine X is Triclopry. You can buy generic Triclopry and the price
is $18.00 per quart. Thanks again.

Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO(Zone 5b)

I just bought a TV - I assume the best thing to do is keep it in a container on the deck and not put it in the ground. Sounds like it is impossible to get rid of, so it's not going in the yard. How do they fare being contained and will it make it through the winter if I leave it contained? I don't want to bring in any plants this year as I suffered through fungal gnats allllllll last winter. They were invasive to my home, lol.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

As mean and tough as TV is, it will probably survive in a container over winter. Your container may not if it's ceramic or pottery. It could crack from the freezing and thawing. Try putting it in your garage or under a deck or some other protected area.

I can put it under the deck, or even bury the container in the ground for the winter - I hear that works well for keeping the roots warm.

I was going to put it in the corner of my yard until I read this thread - it sounds like they are awfully hard to get rid of once you plant it. Not going to chance it.

Cynthia, if you bury the pot underground for winter, be sure to close off drainage hole; trumpet vine spreads by underground runners, and could escape out the drainage hole before you dig it up in spring. I never could get rid of it once it spread under the deck and foundation of our house; sadly had to pass that problem on to the next owner, which I hate to do. Not for lack of trying to kill the blasted thing...
Ruth

Oh my gosh, Ruth, seriously, it's that bad?????? I never dreamed it could escape out the drainage holes! Thank you for telling me. I think it'll sit on the deck in its pot - if it makes it, fine - if not, well, trash...... I am so glad I read this thread before I planted it in my flower garden in the backyard! Wonder why nurseries can still sell it if it is so invasive?

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

I have seen frindships ruined due to this vine LOL .

; > (
Sarge

Wow, it must be one bad vine! I think it'll live on my deck in a potter so there's no way it can spread. I assume since it spreads under the ground, I don't need to worry about it seeding from the flowers? How can a vine be soooo bad, yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yes - it will toss seeds into the wind and settle anywhere and everywhere. I would like to suggest you look into another type of trumpet vine - Bignonia capreolata. You WILL have to bring it in during the fall/winter, but it's a much better-behaved vine.

I think when mine arrives, I'll just trash it - I don't want the seeds to go anywhere, much less into a neighbor's yard.

The one I have coming is a Campsis radicans Flava (Yellow Trumpet Vine) - Plant - I assume this one is very invasive? It's yellow - the DG guide on it doesn't show any negatives but I'm really scared of it now!

Rats as I spent $25 on them!!!

This message was edited Jul 14, 2010 3:14 PM

The yellow isn't nearly as invasive, in my experience with it - don't know why, except that it takes a looooong time for it to start blooming. You just have to keep it as you do the orange - contained on concrete!

Why not offer the orange to someone who has lots of acreage - it's thrilling to sit and watch the hummingbirds eat the nectar. You will do fine with it if you keep it contained and pick off the green seed pods and dispose of them - not sure the best way to dispose of them. In order to keep the seed pods under control, you won't be able to let it get taller than you can safely reach.

I echo Kay in that the yellow is not as invasive, though it's still very "vigorous." I wouldn't risk growing either one after the horrid experience with the orange one, but that's just me. I've planted Bignonia here, and am so much happier with it!
Ruth

I only have yellow ones ordered, no orange, so I am thankful. Will keep it in a pot on the deck and pick off the seed pods so it can't seed. Since it won't be in full sun, I'm not too worried about it going crazy and if it does, trash can here it comes, lol!

I am so glad I read this before I planted any in the ground - we have a white vinyl fence that would look gorgeous with vines on it. Ruth, I'll check the Bignonia and see how that does here in Missouri.

I appreciate your advice!!!

Bignonia is rated for zone 6b in the ground, so it would require lots of mulch over the winter. It would be much easier to just haul the pot in or put it under your southside porch, if you have one.

Here is a picture of my Bignonia, growing up a tree in my yard (I have 4 of these vines in my yard):

Thumbnail by KayJones

Oh that is gorgeous! I have added it to my "want" list for next spring! It is beautiful - as pretty as the TV only non-invasive!? Yippee!

My plants came today and they are about to go into a pot and on my deck. If nothing else, it's a pretty vine. I will definitely keep it well contained! I'm almost scared of the plant, haaaaaaaaaaa.

You'll be much happier with the Bignonia on your fence, believe me. Or a native honeysuckle, for that matter, if they work in your zone. The hummingbirds are all over our Lonicera sempervirens/native honeysuckle these days. Good luck-
Ruth

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

According to the Vine-X website, they are out of business. Anyone know where to purchase the generic version????

What's the active chemical in Vine-X? Something similar happened a year or so ago, when BrushBGone disappeared. Now I have to look for triclopyr as the active ingredient instead; BrushBGone was SO much easier to remember...

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

The main chemical in vine-x is Triclopry.

You can substitute Ortho Max Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer. There are probably other brand names as well; just look at the ingredients for those with triclopyr as the active chemical.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks!!!

Could someone please tell me the scientific name of the orange trumpet vine you are talking about?

The "evil" trumpet vine is Campsis radicans; native to both US and China, but truly a thug. The benign alternative is Bignonia capreolata: native, equally pretty and very well-behaved.

thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.