First Bloom on Echinacea 'PowWow Wild Berry'

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

The bloom is starting to open so I thought I'd capture it in all it's stages. I really like the color. It's an intense pink that's not like ordinary coneflowers. The sun effected the color in the photo somewhat. I will post more photos over the next few days...

This message was edited Jun 30, 2010 8:18 AM

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Very pretty, looking forward to more pics of this one too.

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you sooo much for the post. I started plants by seed this spring and had no idea what color they really are. Yes, please keep the pics coming. My plants are just babies.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Looks good Clint.

Hamilton, OH

nice- it will be interesting to see the final bloom.

Here's a new photo. I'm loving this plant! I'm glad I bought seeds. Hopefully, there will be some other bright colors like this from seed someday!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2010 2:42 PM

Here's a shot showing the plant. Notice the leaves on this one have pink veins in them in places. This is my favorite Echinacea from seeds ever and they bloom the first year!

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much for the pictures. I have six baby plants that I am so happy about now. I like the color.

Boston, MA

Clint, I love the macro picture in your first post. The flowers change so dramatic from first petal open to fully open flower. This looks like a keeper for sure. The leaves are unusual for sure.

Here's an updated photo to see. I took this one with less light. It's a very nice color in my opinion. Everyone should get some of these for sure!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

It's a nice color. I guess the closet one in color would be "After Midnight"? If you like "PowWow Wild Berry", you might want to consider growing "PowWow White" for next year?

Jon - I saw plants for sale yesterday of the white. I might get some next year but I have so many white Echies already.

These are much better growers than 'After Midnight'. They seem to have better branching too.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2010 9:50 AM

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Very nice. The bright color is really nice. 'Aftermidnight' did not do well here so this looks like a good replacement for the bright berry color. How tall is this one supposed to get?

This one is supposed to max out at 24 inches tall. Mine are first year plants from seeds and all are about 12 inches tall and starting to bloom. This plant is my favorite new Echinacea of the year.

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

I had the fortune of acquiring some seed of this variety last spring. No blooms for me the first season. Probably got them going to late.. Looking forward to seeing some blooms this summer though.. Will probably step a few of them up to gallon containers when I cut back the dead leaves later this winter.

Dave

Thumbnail by UncleGreenthumb
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I had terrible luck starting the pow wow berry and the white pow wow. My germination rate was really low - only two out of ten or fifteen seeds, and then something happened to them. In contrast my germination for white swan was over 90%.

Last year, I started so many baby swans that I had to give them away because I got tired of planting, and ran out of space.

I'm not sure why pow wow was so difficult. I think that I got my seeds this year from Swallow seed.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Very Nice! This is my first year trying coneflower. I planted them at least 6 to 8 weeks ago and they are still tiny seedlings. I find that rather odd............

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I found these at a local nursery today so picked up 2 along with 1 Hot Papaya.

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

First blooms on what was suppose to be pow wow wild berry from the seed I started last summer. Nice looking flowers but nothing close to what the wild berry should look like, at least as far as the color should be.

Dave

Thumbnail by UncleGreenthumb
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I just got one of these and planted it yesterday. It's not blooming yet, but now I'm getting excited. I'm new to echies and I'm really loving the newer varieties.

These are blooming great their second year. They are short enough to be an front border plant. I can't wait until their seed called Cheyenne Spirit is released. They are just like these but with orange, yellow and other colors.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Pennfeather...how did you start your coneflowers? WS in milk jugs or direct sowing? I learned something from gardenweed on GW about planting lupines. Once they get their second set of leaves, carefully transplant them into a 6 in. pot and let them get some more growth on them before planting in the flowerbeds. Since this was my first time trying lupines, that has worked for me. I just planted mine into the flowerbeds last week; still have a pot of blue lupines to plant. Maybe if you planted the coneflower in a pot like this, it might work?

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

I just got a PowWow White at Lowe's. They didn't seem to have any other color of that variety..what growth habit is everyone seeing?

The growth habit is short and compact. They are the perfect plant for putting in front of taller plants. They have lots of blooms too.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Clint, I hadn't seen you post for a long time. I went to a quality nursery last Wednesday with my friend and I was trying to tell her about the Pow Wow Berry coneflower. They had a lot but not that. Sure had a lot of Swan white left. We didn't buy any but I would have bought that PWB in a flash. Where did you order you seeds from? I thought I saw them in the Burpee catalog? It's laying beside of my bed on the floor so I'l go look again. My friend has Tiki Torch and that is pretty. Do you have Kim's knee high or something like that name?
It almost looks similar to PWB and After Midnight. They had a lot of Magnus. May check another good nursery about 10 miles from here next week when we come back from eye Dr. The exit is less than 1/2 mile from this wonderful nursery/garden center and their gift shop is to die for! I haven't been there since they have all the spring/summer plants out. Their indoor plants sections was so wonderful.

I think I got my seeds from Harris Seeds. The germination was very good. They are awesome!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

this is a pic. of my pow wow wild berry

Thumbnail by jordankittyjo
Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

What a beautiful color!! I too love coneflowers..I like the burgandy one now. They are hard to get at the moment since they are new out! hahaha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.