Identification Please

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I dug this up last night to rescue it from a bulldozer. The lot next to me will have a house built on it and they are clearing everything out.

This look so different. Like its a Fern Tree. Does anyone know WHAT it is?

I appreciate it.

Now back to the rescue attempts. Over 1000 irises saved and more to go and an oddball assortment of all kinds of stuff. I'm wearing myself out but I don't want the dozer to get them.

I drove home with a load of groceries yesterday and the dozer was there and active. I flung my car in park and left it running as I jumped out and ran to it. I felt like one of those activist in the movies! I got him to stop like a foot short of two iris beds. He had plenty of smallish trees he could yank out and fling around. So he was happy. As soon as he left I emptied those two beds.

Anybody live near SW OK? Come dig and take your finds. D-Mail me. Time is getting short and they are chomping at the bit. I can lift about 7 walmart bags of iris in an 1 1/2 hour setting. That is alot of iris.

Dawn

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Here is the root balls of the "FERN TREE"

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think that's an Asparagus plant - the vegetable.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Serious? They are about 6 ft tall. I didn't think asparagus got that tall. HMMMMmmmm.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

yes, asparagus

The stems you harvest don't...

Yes, the mature stems of asparagus can easily get that tall, especially if it's growing in good soils and/or it's stretching for light - like when a bird has "deposited" the seed under a shrub or some other shady spot.

Lincoln, CA(Zone 9b)

Looks like some kind of Lavender

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you look particularly at the stems showing in picture #2 it's not a match for lavender--definitely asparagus.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Chuckle. Not too long ago at work we were talking about asparagus. I had planned to add that to the garden. Guess I have a head start now.

So, I should cut the canes and plant the roots and I'll have the baby spears next year. Right?

I think you should plant it as-is. It will still photosynthesize from any leaves that survive the move. As they turn brown or die off, cut them back.

You should have some spears next year, and should only get better as it re-establishes in its new home. Prepare a site deeply and richly for the plant to root into.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Will do. Thanks everyone for tolerating my "tree" question.

Welcome - just post pics when you harvest the six foot spears...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.