Wrong Color!

Nashville, TN

I am growing 'The President' and expected beautiful red blooms. I am getting pale coral ones with yellow thoats instead. What am I doing wrong?

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Don't know but that one sure sounds pretty... got a pix??

Friend just sent me one lil tuber of Mr. President..can't wait to see if it's red..will look pretty with my Cleopatra and Picasso.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

risepankow is there a chance its not "the president"?? if you grew from seed (not sure if they seed as i dont have that type) then it doesn't always come true from seed.. If you bought it at a store or online there could of been a mix up with tags.. Or if you got it from a trade or friend could of been a different piece of root that they took it off thinking it was president.. I dont think it matters the soil, or amount of water given for the flower color, as all mine get the right color flower no matter where in the yard they are.. The only difference i notice is there hights.. So i would rule out that option.. i would guess chances are you have something other then president planted.. If you can post a picture of your flower and maybe someone could help you identify they type you do have.. Sounds like a beautiful canna no the less..
jen

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

'President' does not set seed.
The colour of 'President' is intense red. It's blooms are large.
Coral .. either something is wrong or you didn't get the right canna.
Yes, please send a photo.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Any ideas on a name for this soft pink pendulous canna?

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Here it is after the storm(which took most of it's petals) But it really does swoop down like that, and does not bloom upright.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

And this is what sport came up from the seeds I always pick off and stick back in the pot. It's not as dark yellow as the picture looks, it's a very soft buttery yellow (blueish leaves) with a little bit of a pink center. Any ideas? The pink also has blueish leaves.

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Everyone,

It sounds like we have the same or similar Canna, risepankow, with pale Coral blooms and Yellow spotted throats. I was expecting Mr. President too that I grew from rhizomes rec'd in a trade. These plants are already 4' tall and are in the front of my bed. I don't have that many different Cannas so I looked each one up when I actually planned the bed, thinking I'd have a succession of tallest in the back to shortest in the front...LOL So much for planning but I'll know better next year.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Abutilon, what do you think it's name may be?

Thanks,
Susan

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I LOVE the color of that one, Fruit!!!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Mary,
The pink could be 'Erebus', but not sure seeing it as it is. But if grown from seed, it is a new hybrid. The yellow is probably another seedling. I have one from Thailand that looks very similar. Both have glauca in their backgrounds.
I like these willowy cannas for their delicate looks :)
They have their own special place amongst cannas.
Not everywhere is a huge flower or leaves needed.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Susan,
What colour are the leaves on your's"
Do you have a photo of the whole plant?

This may be a better shot of the whole plant than the one I posted above. It's already 4' tall and the delicate blooms and are self-cleaning.

The leaves are a bright medium shade of green and have butter-yellow margins.
Edited to add that the reverse of the leaves have the same color of yellow ribs.

Thank you so much for helping us :)

This message was edited Jul 10, 2010 7:02 PM

That one's producing seeds now. Any ideas of a name are much appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.