Moonflower

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Three flowers this evening.. The vine is beautiful, but several people told me to plant moonflower for the fragrance. Mine does not have any scent at all..

Thumbnail by RrrrrGrrrr
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

you have to be out there when they first open

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine's scent remind me of a some sort of nice shampoo. I like how yours look with the light pole kinda illuminates the white blooms nicely.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The flowers DO have a scent after all.. I went out there just as they were opening yesterday - angel is right, it is a fresh and subtle sort of shampoo smell. It was tricky getting my nose in there because the ants love to crawl all over them.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Just planted one of those on my Arbor with bench. Hope its a fast grower. I can hardly wait for the blooms.
Thanks for sharing the pic.

Pam

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

This is another moonflower I planted along the iron railings (blooming tonight).. It didn't start flowering until a couple of weeks ago - it was planted later.

Thumbnail by RrrrrGrrrr
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I have a moonflower that is not the vine, but the plant. It has grown into a beautiful spreading plant, but I was so disappointed because it never bloomed. I noticed yesterday it was FULL of buds! The flowers are HUGE ... like 7" long. My mom had them when I was a kid. I had the vine and it wasn't what I was wanting, so never really paid too much attention to it. The ones I have are the most fragrent during the evening and night.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It sounds like you have daturas. I have family in central TX who love growing those too..

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

another picture of the vine on the railings..

Thumbnail by RrrrrGrrrr
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

A close-up

Thumbnail by RrrrrGrrrr
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

How do I ensure that my moonflower will replant itself? Do I need to harvest the seed by hand and replant or will it take care of itself?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Ornamental sweet potato vines...how cold hardy are they? I am in Houston, TX. One last question. When do air potatoes start making "potatoes"?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We grow moonflowers as annuals.. I collect the seeds from the dried seed pods and replant them the following year.

My moonflowers.

Thumbnail by Crit
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I love those, Crit..

Thanks Rrrrr.

Does anyone know how to harvest seed from them? I wonder if it will come back next spring. I'm in Tulsa, OK. I think that is 7b. Mom always had them and I remember them every year, but don't know if she planted them, they reseeded, or came back from the roots.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Lots of flowers tonight..

Thumbnail by RrrrrGrrrr

Rrrrr, how do you know when the pod is ready to pick and get the seed? I have the golf ball size prickly balls on my plant now, but they are still green.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Judging by your picture, I think you have daturas.. I've never grown those.

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

The seeds are ready when the husk is black and crispy, you must leave on the vine to ripen, picture is my back porch railing one plant on each side and lots of cup hooks screwed into the wood.

Thumbnail by kobwebz

Beautiful picture, and great idea with the cup hooks!

Mind is not the vine type, it is a datura. Plant type.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.