What do you guys think?

Tulsa, OK

Okay don't know if these are the same coleus or different. The 1st pict is of 'Watermelon' that I grew from seed (name according to the seed packet that I bought from Home Depot). The 2nd (with the ginger lilly) I bought as a filler plant (liked where my other one was). Somehow they seem different - the 2nd wasn't labeled at all and I thought it was the same variety but the top one has sort of a flat leaf the filler coleus has more of a 'ruffly' leaf texture. I know Coleus changes color but does the texture change also??

Thumbnail by ultimateshopper
Tulsa, OK

The 2nd coleus

Thumbnail by ultimateshopper
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I believe the 2nd one is one of the wizards. I love the watermelon!

Tulsa, OK

Thanks for the reply Mary - okay I'm now getting into the coleus so is there a wizard Watermelon then a 'regular' watermelon also? Is the difference in the leaf texture?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I personally don't know of a Wizard Watermelon.
Those do look like Wizard Tri-color.
Here is a tray of Watermelon.
This coleus will get deep purple in full sun.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

And another Watermelon tray, notice the difference?
I try them in several spots before planting.
Trays are easy to move, the alternative is not.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Tulsa, OK

Wow - they are pretty Sugar - funny how they have the same name but look completely different to my HD watermelon seeds! LOL I'm addicted either way now!! :)

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Quote from sugarweed :
I personally don't know of a Wizard Watermelon.
Those do look like Wizard Tri-color.
Here is a tray of Watermelon.
This coleus will get deep purple in full sun.

This coleus looks really nice.. and I like the Blackie Sweet Potato vine at the bottom with it.

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

I believe that your first plant is 'Versa Watermelon', which is sometimes confused with a classic Coleus known simply as 'Watermelon', a very attractive but rather different plant. I had posted a couple of months ago about my plant which was kindly pointed out as 'Versa Watermelon'. Versa is a series of plants that grow true--or nearly so--from seed. The picture I've posted here is one of several 'Versa Watermelons' I have planted in different places that are all clones of one plant I obtained last year.

I was able to get the 'Classic Watermelon' from Rosy Dawn this year. They have it but it's not in this year's catalog.

Thumbnail by atisch
Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

The picture posted above by "sugarweed" is the same plant I obtained from from Rosy Dawn as 'Watermelon'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.