Bees in the potting mix and the water reserviors?

Pine Island, FL(Zone 10a)

I know that the bee population is in peril, but not at my house. I've got them everywhere. They seem to thrive on palm tree pollen, and there are tens of thousands of palms here on this little island. Lately (the last couple of months), I've had lots of bees just rummaging around in the dry dirt of pots of failed (neglected) plants, the damp soil of healthy seedlings, the holes in the sides of 1 gallon planting bags and inside the water reservoirs of 5 gallon e-buckets. The come flying out when the watering system flows and are actively going in and out of the drain/overflow holes. They're there except for the evening hours.

Don't get me wrong, I like bees just fine, but they've also been a problem for me. Thousands got into the walls of my house through an old dryer vent and were kind of terrorizing. They too a lot of time and expense to get rid of. We get the Africanized sorts pretty often down here, and those particular bees in the walls were pretty aggressive. These bees in the garden are fewer (maybe 50-100 at a time), but still intimidating. They don't attack me, don't seem to mind my watering and picking veggies.but they're a little too numerous. Besides that I can't figure out what they're doing. They completely ignore the flowers on everything but the palms, so they don't seem to be doing their job. They don't need to be in my garden to find water, it's everywhere here. What are they doing in my dirt, and how can I get rid of them? (sorry, bee lovers)

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Try calling Nova University in Davie and get the number of their agriculturel department. They have a large site off Nova road and perhaps they can help you? If they are the Killer Bees be very careful and don't kill one or they will attack. Also don't wear black as they will take that as a threat....
Ted

Pine Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the advice, Ted. I think I'll pop into the local U of FL county extension office one of these days first. Like I said, they're not aggressive, but I'd not want to test that by swatting them. Didn't know about the wearing black bit, but it IS Florida in the summer and I'd go naked before I'd wear black in this stinking heat. I still can't imagine why they want to hang out on the potting mix. Bees don't eat other bugs, do they?

Bees might be looking for fresh water, and drinking inside your pots/buckets. They land on the waterlilies in my fishpond and drink.

They might be getting pollen in your pots, on the surface.

They don't generally attack if they are away from home and foraging. But if you're near the hive, and one stings you, run run run.

Cut down all the palms. hahaha, I'm joking!

Put screen over the watering holes.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Melissa

Crestview, FL

I had this big green thing jump out of my tomato plant the other day, made me jump about 2 feet in the air, we had had lots of rain and it was a rain frog? Real bright green and red eyes. I hear they are harmless too.
joy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.