cutting old blooms from Endless Summer

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

My endless summer bloomed like crazy, but the severe rains we have had has them looking pretty beat down and heavy. Would they make new blooms if i cut the old ugly blooms off?

thanks,

Ladysmith, BC

I would think so. Mine is doing just fine and it takes to careful prunning. Love this bush.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I cut my blooms back when they turn brown and yucky and sometimes when they are still nice for arrangements and mine just started getting a few new blooms. Since they bloom on new growth i say go for it. Maybe you'll get more, and even if not the plant can save it's energy for roots and growth for next year. And if your end of season blooms look anything like mine they aren't worth leaving on anyway. Not sure if it's all the heat and humidity but mine turned a rusty brown and shriveled. Not pretty.

Athens, PA

ES blooms on both new and old growth. This shouldn't be a problem.

I see this post was an older one - what did you do?

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

I followed the advice and cut them. That worked well. Got some new smaller blooms on newer growth.

Ladysmith, BC

They are wonderful just keep blooming and blooming

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I pretty much hacked mine to the ground due to mildew and look what i got! :)

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81
Athens, PA

Outlaw - such a nice pink. Mine are blue.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I would LOVE blue ones. However we literally live on a limestone slab. There:s no way I'll ever have blue blooms except in containers. :'(

Athens, PA

I was surprised when I first put mine in and it flowered blue, but I was happy about it. A lady a couple of blocks down from me has one and her's is pink. I love the huge blossoms of ES as well.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.