Any advice will be gladly accepted!

Pineville, WV

I cut my two Nelly Moser clematis back about half after they turned brown, but they still look really bad and have completely quit doing anything. I am also in the process of digging up everything I have planted in front of my home and planting knock out roses...I don't seem to kill them. Anyway, I am going to cut the two Nelly's completley back to the ground, dig up them up and move them, hoping to get them looking better. My question is what can I plant in their spot? I love the clematis because they are not invasive and I like things that grow u p and bloom.
I am open to suggestions on what to plant in their spot. I am going to Ohio this weekend and there are several garden shops in the Amish country that has a much better selection than we do here in WV. Locally we have a green house that has a red Leo honeysuckle that is really nice and a Carolina Jassamine that is beautiful, but I don't know about the potential they have to get out of hand. Like I said I am open to suggestions. By the way I live in growing zone 6 and the front of my house gets direct, intense sunlight all day, so what ever I plant must be able to with stand the sun and heat, not the mention my brown thumb!

Pineville, WV

Here are a couple of picture on my front door, as you can see, it is a little big, so i think something that gets a little large with lots and lots of blooms would look great on either side of my steps

Thumbnail by idohair
Pineville, WV

Here are a couple of picture on my front door, as you can see, it is a little big, so i think something that gets a little large with lots and lots of blooms would look great on either side of my steps.

Thumbnail by idohair
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

What about a different kind of clematis that is hardier, like from the viticella group? There are some that are recommended for beginners. Here is the link. http://www.clematisinternational.com/cfbeniss20.pdf
If you do go with clematis, remember it is all about the roots. Dig a well draining hole, add compost and some expanded shale. Also , put the plant in deeper that soil level. I am sure the experts can add more to this.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2010 7:05 AM

Pineville, WV

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.