Plants that flop gracefully . . .

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Some plants are good looking, but have no grace when they flop.

Some, however, are quite pretty. Some look as if they've femininely "swooned" against a sturdier, more rugged and manly plant. Or, perhaps have lain down for an afternoon rest, as Scarlet may have, to restore their vibrancy for the evening ~

Do you feel the same? Any pictures to exemplify this?

Here are a few of mine . . .

A yarrow 'Moonshine' swoons against a rugged (but very new) ninebark 'Summer Wine', hoping to get his attention. Unfortunately, 'Moonshine' is quite manly and robust herself and 'Summer Wine' actually has his eye on a petite little digitalis ambigua in front of him. But, she made an effort and actually looks quite nice . . .

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

And little delphinium 'Blue Mirror' is quite the lady. She rests in the heat of the southern (er, Midwest) afternoon before she can be revived for the ball later on.

Please do not disturb the diva . . .

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Madison, WI

That is a seriously blue lady! I do love blue and that is a striking shade of it.
I tend to get a lot more floppy plants as I am seriously lacking sun.
My floppers include bee bulms and dasies that are taller than 2'.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Enya, I really think most plants are quite pretty when they flop - they just sort of look luxurious. Flopping into each other rather than all the way to the ground is perhaps the key!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't think I've ever found a perennial that flopped gracefully...unless that was what it was supposed to do (such as the ones that spill over walls or pots.) I actually try to avoid floppers and stick with the ones with good strong stems.

I do grow Delphinium elatum, even though I usually have to stake them, just because I have to have them in my garden--I love them. This year's storms in June took out my delphs after only about a week in full bloom. I was so sad to step outside and find the stems not just drooping but broken. I tried to cut them and take them inside as cut flowers, but the stems just wouldn't support the weight of the flower heads and kept bending so that they wouldn't stand up in the vase.

I have to say, though, your Delphinium 'Blue Mirror' swoons quite prettily, Sherri. My mom has what I think is 'Blue Butterfly,' and it spreads like crazy for her (probably will for me, too, because my soil is lighter than hers.) I'm thinking it's time for her to divide some of it. Gee, I wonder who she'd give her extra divisions to? ;)

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Time to nudge Mom, Kayley!! : )

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Sherriseden. That is a very romantic view of your garden. If you have a glider or rocker out there you could just sit there and make up stories - actually why not write them down? If not as a best seller of the year book, at least a memorium of this moment of your life. Like talking to a friend that will always understand always be sumpathetic and on your side.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Mableruth - that is very poetic! I actually do kind of personify my plants and even the bugs and birds and other things out there. I never write things down, though, although I used to. Now, I just live in the moment and go where it takes me!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.