Mango and Mamey fruit trees in Yucatan

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

I took my camera out with me today running errands although we are getting the leading bands from TS Alex who will pass south of us in the morning. So, it rained on me several times when I was trying to get a picture.

Both mango and mamey trees are incredibly large trees, at least 3 stories high and if they are not trimmed they are equally as wide. I don't have room for them in my small city garden but there are a lot of them in yards around the city.

The white spots are raindrops hitting my lens, it probably needed the cleaning I did when I got home. I tried to show the size of the tree and the fruit. I think these are a variation of the paraiso mango.

Thumbnail by extranjera

BTW, these are for Creekside Farm in Oregon.

A close up of the fruit hanging like baubles.

Thumbnail by extranjera

A Mamey tree behind a plumeria (called Flor de Mayo in Spanish)

Thumbnail by extranjera

and a close up of the fruit.

Mamey are like a sweet yam in consistency and flavor, they make excellent smoothies, candies and puddings.

Thumbnail by extranjera

I was trying to get a pic of a giant breadfruit tree that is behind some equally large plumeria on the grounds of a nursing home near my house. Unfortunately, I got out to take the picture and a rain cell caught me. It is the one with the almost palm like leaves, wide and flat.

Thumbnail by extranjera
noonamah, Australia

I've got a Breadfruit at home. It's crowded in and under other very large trees so is growing tall and spindly. Any fruit it gets will be very high up.

We're getting an early mango season this year. Some people already have fruit but only a few of mine are starting to flower.

Mangos here seem to ripen at different times by the type. The earliest are usually the Ataulfo and similar small, yellow types. They were available in May, some in late April. Now the Paraiso are very cheap in the markets and show up as ripe on the trees. I have to fend off friends with huge sacks of them to give away. I've already frozen a huge amount of mango pulp for later use and also frozen some mango/chipotle salsa for the winter. I need to get my ice cream maker out and make some mango ice cream too.

Mon Plaisir, Aruba

Cool posts! I envy all of the water you guys have. So lush!

Kapaa, HI

My mango trees rested this year. Actually I am glad. I had so many mangoes last year I can hardly stand the sight of mango fruit now. My papaya trees are slowing down at this point but there will be a new wave relatively soon. Right now the first of my summer avocado trees is covered with fruit. I just harvested a huge stalk of apple bananas. Anyone who happens to come to my house when I am in fruit flux is rewarded with bags of eatables.

I'm overrun with mangos now, I don't have the room for the trees but it seems all of my friends have several trees and they are begging you to take them. I've cut and cubed mangos for hours every week and have a lot of it frozen and a lot of chutney and salsa and made breads and crumbles. Papaya is ripe here all year it seems, I don't think of it as seasonal so I tend to eat more of it in the winter when there aren't some of the other fruits. We have anona, guava, guanabana, mango, mamey and a bunch of others I'm forgetting in the markets now.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

"Resting" year for my mango too, although plenty to eat and give away with 6 different types in the garden - luckily they don't all ripen at the same time.

Banana's ripening up every two weeks or so - our heaviest bunch weighed 63 lbs, so far - most are in the 35 lb range -that's a lot of nana's to dehydrate and pass on, luckily there is a continual stream of visitors in the condo-tel where I work who are more than happy to take them!

Starfruit tree is loaded, but not quite ripe yet. Lots of figs, and the birds are getting very fat and sassy. Papaya are all the year round here too - the birds love them and then plant them all round the garden...

I hope everyone is having a lovely summer.

Jenn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.