A different problem with my delphinium.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

For years, one or two delphs will become distorted. It might be that it's always a belladonna. That's all that has it this year. I'm not sure. Can anyone identify the problem? And suggest a solution?

I always think, when I see a curled up leaf, that I will find aphids inside, but I don't see anything. Perhaps they are microscopic aphids????

TIA
LAS

This message was edited Jun 25, 2010 5:53 PM

Thumbnail by LAS14
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Here's another picture

Thumbnail by LAS14
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

And another picture

Thumbnail by LAS14
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

And my last picture.

Thumbnail by LAS14
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Ah!! Four more pictures. You never know which will do the trick. Here's the first.

Thumbnail by LAS14
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Here's the second.

Thumbnail by LAS14
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

And the third.

Thumbnail by LAS14
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

And the fourth

Thumbnail by LAS14
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Here's one of mine that went crazy!

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I have a backup bed for delphinium as replacements for those that may have died in my perennial garden. I was working in it today and found two more plants that seem to suffer from the same problem. This one is a belladonna bellamosum.

Thumbnail by LAS14
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

And this one is from a small (8 inches) delph that is starting over after woodchuck and slug attacks. Again, when I unroll the leaves, I expect to see aphids, but see nothing.

Thumbnail by LAS14
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Well, do I feel silly. Apparently 2 years ago I got a pretty good answer. When I got no ideas here, I googled delphinium diseases and found a great site from New Zealand which has a good description of various pests and diseases. I concluded that my problem was either boad mite or cyclamen mite. That began to ring a faint bell. So I searched Dave's garden, and, indeed, I had asked the question then and gotten the answer. In the interim I've been so obsessed with slugs on my delphs, and my wonderful solution that it just went out of my mind that I had visited the problem before. Here's the thread, should anyone else be hoping for an answer.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/899594/

This message was edited Jun 30, 2010 3:13 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.