Shelf/Conch type fungus invasion - help requested

Carthage, TN

I posted this on the master gardener forum & received a suggestion I should post my problem here because the fungus involved seems to come from a tree. I planted a flower & herb garden on a sunny spot in my yard in 2007. It's contained by the driveway which has a boxwood hedge lining it & stops at the side of the garage, the other border is a sidewalk. The grass in this area was always patchy & almost nonexistent, I've learned a large tree grew there but had been cut down before we bought the place. I have had wonderful success in getting daylilies, sage, basil, rue, hyssop, lavender, etc to grow here. But I noticed this weird stuff that suddenly appeared in 2008 at the edge of the bed, closest to the driveway & coming up around the base of boxwood hedge. Each year it is spreading inward, coming up in the daylilies now & even the herbs & flowers despite my best manual efforts to remove it. I've talked with the local extension service & they took samples. They actually came to the house when I told them it was growing up in my daylilies & surrounding them - they didn't think it should be growing in flowers. What I learned from the extension rep was that this is some type of "shelf" fungus or "conch" fungus that probably originated from a tree/trees that had been removed but the roots remained - they are decomposing in the ground & this is a fungus (?) that is living in the roots, that stuff I see in my plants is the way the fungus reproduces -- at least this is what I got from the conversation. He said it wouldn't hurt my plants but I could remove it since it is unsightly & smells. He said also said it wasn't toxic. It starts out as small, white bumps near the plants or in between the stems/fans of the plants & then grows into a cauliflower looking growth that turns into what you see below. It's very firm & difficult to remove. First it was just in the daylilies on the edge of the bed but now it's moving in & is appearing in the sage, the coreopsis, hyssop, etc. I try hard to pull it off of the plants/from the ground but it's impossible to get all of it without completely destroying the plants, plus it also pops up in the soil as it's moving in. It appears in early June, seems to grow actively through summer, then slows down in the fall & disappears until the next season. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I'm afraid to take starts on any of the daylilies because I'm afraid I'll introduce this stuff to other beds - it's nowhere else in our yard. We do have mushrooms that randlomly pop up in yard but they are "normal" mushrooms like you'd see in the produce section & they don't spread like this stuff & engulf plants. I'd sure love to know deal with this once & for all since manually trying to remove it is incredibly time consuming & not very effective. Thanks. Here is what it looks like when it first starts...

Thumbnail by JGinTN
Carthage, TN

Here is another photo, as it starts to grow & resemble cauliflower....

Thumbnail by JGinTN
Carthage, TN

Another look......you can see it getting bigger, creeping inbetween the daylily fans & wrappin around them.....

Thumbnail by JGinTN
Carthage, TN

Here's another photo.....

Thumbnail by JGinTN
Carthage, TN

Last, here's a close up - sorry it's blurry - you hopefully can see the darkening of the thing as it ages. When I try to remove these growths they are firmly attached & sometimes snap off with pieces still anchoring them in the ground. Sometimes they come off cleanly but they always come back.......If you can help me figure out how to get rid of this I'd really, really appreciate it. Thank you & sorry this post is so long, hopefully it makes some sense. If you need better photos I can take some more - would it help to have some photos of pieces of this stuff that I've removed? Let me know

Thumbnail by JGinTN
Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

JGinTN,

Hello

Sarge

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

A quick Google search for conch or shell/shelf fungus found this: http://allencentre.wikispaces.com/file/view/bracket_fungus_top.jpg/77728721/bracket_fungus_top.jpg

A search for cauliflower looking fungus yielded a fungus that is called "cauliflower fungus" http://www.treknature.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/photo127833.htm - this is just one picture and description; search for cauliflower fungus to see many more.

If this is what you have it is edible and sought after ;o)

Another possibility is this "hen of the woods" fungus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grifola_frondosa - also edible, but may cause stomach upset.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Wood decomposing fungi are pretty ubiquitous, and are going to be around as long as there are remaining undecomposed root systems from the removed tree(s). It looked as if this information was provided to you by your extension service.

It doesn't attack your ornamentals. It seems you are damaging your plants more trying to remove it than if you just left it alone. I think I'd just ignore it till it runs its course.

The best option? Provide the conditions that will accelerate decomposition, a la composting. Give it water and nitrogen, usually the limiting factors (along with aeration) in a composting operation. Sooner the woody roots rot away, the sooner you'll be rid of your mushrooms.

Carthage, TN

Thanks for the suggestion - any ideas on how long I can expect this process to take? Do you think this could spread to other areas? I need to divide the daylilies but am really worried that this stuff will get transplanted with any plants I divide since it seems to be travelling to new areas in this bed. What do you think.....am I being paranoid or is this a realistic concern?

Wherever you find it, it is still just decomposing dead wood/roots. As you might imagine, roots extend quite a distance from where the tree trunk was originally. The "traveling" is going to be the route the old roots existed along.

Whether you "transplant" it elsewhere won't matter either. Once the old wood/roots rot away, it's done.

Carthage, TN

Thanks for the answer. I didn't want to transplant some starts and learn the "hard way", if you know what I mean. And, now that I think of it, it makes sense that the root system would be quite extensive & spread out in the ground. Thanks again for the help.
PS - a belated "hello" to Sarge in nearby Sparta! Sorry it took so long for my manners to kick in......

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

JGinTN,

Thats ok I know the panic stage of what do I do thing .

good to meet ya

Sarge

Carthage, TN

One more question, if you don't mind - my friend just gave me a bucket of fresh chicken manure scooped up from under the roost in her henhouse. She said it is high in nitrogen but is it safe to apply now? I suspect I need to let it sit awhile but am not sure how long - don't want to burn my plants or let it sit too long that the desired high nitrogen content abates too much. Any ideas?

Probably shouldn't apply to any plants directly, unless you intend to kill them. Best to mix it with higher carbon content composting materials (wood chips, sawdust, old plants from last fall or spring garden cleanup) to help create a balance C-N ratio.

Post this over on the Composting forum - you'll find all the precise recommendations you could ever need.

Carthage, TN

Ok will do. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.