Really Nuts for Petunias

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thought we should start a new thread. There are some really cool petunias this year, so please share some pictures.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I really like this petunia: Surprise HOT ROD RED.

Baker, LA(Zone 8b)

These are beautiful...just absolutely beautiful! Love it! ;-)

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Love red flowers anyway, but that one is AWESOME! Love it!

Calgary, Canada

This is Park's Dolicissimo Flambe:

Thumbnail by CLScott
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice!

Broadway, NC(Zone 7b)

Red Wave Petunias

Thumbnail by Hindernone
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

VERRRRY NICE in the red!

Pretoria, South Africa

CLScott,

I like the coloring of Park's Dolicissimo Flamb.

Elsa

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Soft pink! generic label...

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are some Shockwave Purples grown from seed. (There are two plants in this container).

Thumbnail by pgt
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Combos!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Where do you find all those awesome seeds? I spend a small fortune every year of petunias, and would love to be able to start some from seed instead.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

No petunia seeds here other than the volunteers. I spend a small fortune on plants too.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Ah! But summer just wouldn't be the same without petunias! I always have to have them, lol! Am hoping that I will get more volunteers this year, since I put several different ones in the ground instead of all in pots.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I just got 2 paks of seed for 10c @ at the local hardware....throwed them in a pot that was wainng in annuals and maybe something will bloom out of them by fall. If I get plants I will perhaps winter some under lights again. I did a couple tunias last fall indoors in the livingroom.. how nuts is that! LOL!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Have you ever tried wintering your summer plants inside? Wonder if I could take some pots in for the winter, and how they would do?

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

skellog,
I usually buy my seeds from parks seeds or swallowtail gardens or ack the name is escaping me, but I think it starts with an s. I start them under lights in my basement in February. Joannabana has posted a lot of great info on here about growing petunias from seed. Try to find some of her older posts, and you'll get a ton of info.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I did nto have any trouble wintering indoors some of my petunias. I however did not fertilize them because of lack of space and how big they can get so I left them to them "stunted" selves. Some were able to come baco outside in the spring, but those were seeds that had started in the winter inthe same pots as the prior seasons annual petunias had died as they spent themselves. Annuals only last the one season.

I also did allysumn, coleus, dianthus, and some snapdragons in the livingroom under lights.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks! Will go hunting tonight PGT and find some of the info! And thanks for the seed company info as well. I know that I read somewhere where Joannabana ordered some of hers, and checked byt they were in Canada, so didn't ship to the US ;-( I'm definately going to try some from seed this winter!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Stokes Seeds & Veseys ship to the US. My favourite choices

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks Joannabanana! Just ordered a Stokes catalog! Oh my, gonna have to get a second job just to order all the stuff I want, teeheehee!

And a Vesey's catalog too!

This message was edited Jul 25, 2010 5:38 AM

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Ok, am confuses on this, Can anyone tell me the difference between all the different petunias? Easy wave, shock wave, wave, floribunda, cascade, tidal wave, etc.? I know it seems like a stupid question to all you experts, but to me they all seem so similar in growth patterns, so I must be missing some things. Thanks!

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I overwinterd some Petunias this past winter. It was really easy. I cut them back completely and kept them under a shop light on a timer. I only waterd them a few times through the whole winter and all by themselves they started growing back just in time for spring. I had two types but the ones I am more impressed with were a Lilac. I can look the name up, I grew them from seeds from a plant I got at HD and they came true. I really like the color of them. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm a petunia lover, too. This year I bought wave seed from a different supplier and they have been pitiful, so back to Park I go, lesson learned.

Pretoria, South Africa

Here in my part of South Africa (summer rainfall area) we gtow them in Winter. Granted, I hardly get any frost, but they do seem able to take some. The upside is that you have their lovely fragrance and color when you need it most, and the flowers aren't affected by rain.

Elsa

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is a good site for all the Waves. http://www.wave-rave.com/default.aspx

You could also check out the Stokes Seeds website. They do a great job with the descriptions of all the different petunia types

http://www.stokeseeds.com/

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 6:12 AM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Pretty Much Picasso....my humble opinion has got to be the "oogliest" petunia growing!

The leaves are somewhat different than a normal tunia....Its a proven Winner.. but Im not so sure its a "wnner? in my book yet.

I do hope it seeds...I could not resist for a end of summer special..

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

Hmmm...and after planting a BUNCH this year from seed, I decided again that petunias aren't my forte (too much maintenance & attention), but I like Pretty Much Picasso and put it on my list to definitely purchase next year...LOL

Thumbnail by Chocolatemoose
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

OK, Cmoose.. ITS A WINNER!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Pretty Much Picasso must like it pretty much cool. Not a nice growing plant in South Florida, but looks like it loves it in Alaska.

Calgary, Canada

Pretty Much Picasso has done well in the Calgary area as I have seen it in several of the Competitions and Open Gardens.
I did not try it myself.

The SummerHill on line catalogue has some neat ones for next year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My Pretty Much Picasso was a dud (all 3 plants). It's become a bit of an experiment. I have tried everything that I can think of. Celated iron, epsom salts, aluminum sulphate, Ultra Bloom, fish fertilizer....and probably a few other things. The foliage started to yellow in early June. I took a couple out of the container & repotted. It would appear the main problem is cold & wet. The PH was a little too high, so it really was starving. No oxygen to the roots since the soil was so soggy....oh yeah, I think I even tried hydrogen peroxide too. Anyways, do be warned, this is not a pretty picture.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I do have other petunias that look great

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My tower is usually wider, but I guess the cool wet weather is the cause

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oops that was the wrong picture

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Your petunias look great Joanne, despite the weather trying to work against you.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Jon,

These are Tidal Wave Silver (from seed)

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

I too grew pretty much picasso. Lov the flowers hated the plant. Got long and lanky early. Not very pretty like my others. No smell either, that's my favorite trait of petunias.
Roxanne

Thumbnail by roxxanne
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

roxxanne,

Are those Tidal Silver too? Here is Hot Pink Tidal, extremely fragrant. I plant per pot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.