2010 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Vol. 5

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is a feeder shot..Same bird. This shows the broken feather and spider webbing a bit more clearly..

Thumbnail by UncleGreenthumb
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Wonderful photos Burd, Lily and UncleG.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots Lily and UncleGreenthumb! UGT...looks like the hummer with the broken wing is doing ok...maybe by early fall it will be strong to make the trip south.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow nice shots!!

Caught this female coming for a drink.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Sitting for me...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Giving another me chance at this shot...lol!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

as perfect as it gets for me!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Your female's so sweet, nanny.

Uncle, I hope you'll give us progress on your female with the broken wing. Out of curiosity, what's that Blue flower, an Hibiscus or something else?

Marlton, NJ

Great shots Uncle, Nanny and Lily.

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

AWW great photos,gotta love em little buggers

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nice catch there hg.

Marlton, NJ

Cute pic hug!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Nanny, great job with your little girl-especially that last one.

Hugger, your little guy looks cute with the blooms.

Nice capture, hugger. I haven't been able to get a male sit still long enough for a decent photo yet. What are the pretty flowers you're growing underneath your feeder?

We've had such a problem with ants inside and out, I decided to move a couple of the feeders further away from the house to the side yard where they're hung on shepherd's hooks. Two gals were having at it today.

I just need to sit more often,that pot of flowers are my favorites this year,they were everything I had leftover,made a beautiful mix and it keeps getting better

Your flowers inspired me to start another pot of annuals today. The shepherd hooks are next to our well cap & I put the pot on top of it. The longest reach on my camera is a 55 mm lens. If only I had a telephoto..... Boy was I a sucker today when I parked in a chair for 20 minutes, only a few feet from the feeders. Sweat was pouring and I wasn't doing anything but sitting......watching & waiting with my camera at the ready. The same two gals whizzed by me several times, not a foot away, but dang it they were too quick I still didn't get a pic.

oh I know the feeling .I got lucky yesterday ,taking flower photos and I was 2 ft from the feeder and LOOK MA NO WINGS >>>

Thumbnail by huggergirl

I wish I would have had time to adjust the shutterspeed....

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

You guys have got some great shots.
I had problem with DG's site, for a while and couldn't open thumbnails or send post. Don't know what happened. Everything is working fine now.

I don't think I have the same hummers as last year. I have a male and a female, and they are both camera shy. It's hard to get good shots of them.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn,nice shot,I lost part of a post yesterday too,and it happened awhile back

Monroe, CT

This guy is the boss of my garden!

Thumbnail by joankulik
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL, Joan. I'm new at watching hummingbirds. But I can almost bet the male hummers is sitting guard for his partner while she comes to the feeder. For many a time I'll see the female came to feed. Another male appeared, but then war broke loose. A dominant male zoom zoom zoom came out of nowhere to protect his female.

I'll try and keep a watch on that one, Fruit.. That flower is a Tropical Variety of hibiscus.. It's one I hybridized a couple years back.. It's name is "Silver Fox" I started propagating it last summer.. So far so good.. The cuttings seem to be growing well on their own roots.. I'll try and find some free time one of these days and set up my portable hummingbird studio and get some better pictures.

Burd;,, I had a chance to view those pictures you've been taking over at the marsh.. Really enjoyable.. That place is awesome. Didn't get a chance to drive over there this spring.. Just to much to do and couldn't get away for a day. That broken feather doesn't seem to be causing anything more than maybe slowing her flight down a bit.. I did notice she flies a little crooked when heading back to the pines.. Other than that, she seems fine..

Took a few pictures last Saturday afternoon. This isn't me, just a friend..

One more

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots of your Hummer's everyone!!
UncleGreenthumb, if you get a chance hit the marsh as fall starts..there will be a few weeks of Warbler's as they make their way back south, the marsh will be loaded with berries.

The little things in life make one soo very happy !!! LOOK AT HIS GRIN....SWEET

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I really enjoy seeing everyone's photos here. Great job everyone.

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful shots everyone!!

Yes they are, duc & pell. How long did your friend need to sit there before the hummers starting zooming in, Uncle? Those are cool pics.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

i do agree, the little thing in life bring much joy. Love that picture of your friend with the hummers Uncle.
Joan, such a tiny thing to rule the yard isn't it? I like to watch them chase each other around, but would also like to see them enjoy the feeder together. Nice of you to share your photo.

took this when it was getting dark out.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Another one on the same night.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Burn ,it always amazes me that they are out after dark,great shots

Nice shots everyone!! I am going to start a new thread...will be back with the link!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

OOoh, I like that night shots of yours Burn. Love, love those white specks on the 'fan' out tail feathers.

Here is the new thread!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1117344/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.