2010 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Vol. 5

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Time for another new thread..here is a link to Vol. 4. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103893/ .

By now I hope your visitors have arrived and you are enjoying this delightful little bird. I mentioned to a friend the other day that they actually look smaller up close...maybe I need to get my eyes examined!!

We had a few weeks of just a few Hummers but they have returned and I am thoroughly enjoying them. I am on the lookout for juvies but so far I can't tell them from the adults.

Here is an adult male looking gorgeous!

edited to say: Please post your pics here...don't be shy!!

This message was edited Jun 23, 2010 4:39 PM

This message was edited Jun 23, 2010 4:41 PM

This message was edited Jun 23, 2010 4:42 PM

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

and a beautiful female.

Thumbnail by dellrose
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

What a beautiful start for this new thread Rose! Great captures.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Love those little feet. And I know exactly what you mean by how they look smaller up close. When you see them in person up close, you really do realize how tiny they are.

Marlton, NJ

Wonderful shots Rose! Thanks for starting the new thread!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Rose for the new thread, I've a few remain here thus far. I saw both male and female. I hope they will stay awhile. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
PERTH, Australia

Beautiful start to the new thread, Rose. I have both the Ruby-throated Hummingbird and Western Hummingbird threads on my watched list and although I don't often comment, I can assure you that I get immense enjoyment from viewing all the posts of these remarkable little birds that we don't have in Australia.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Rose, thanks for volunteering to start the new thread, such nice choice of pictures to introduce it.
Cute one lily, hope they hang around for you.

I hardly see any hummers anymore. Probably busy raising a family. I'm keeping my eye open for their return. This is an old picture earlier on this Spring.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Another one on the same day.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Macon County, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice ones for the thread Rose, almost the same pose for the male and female! I have been traveling and busy in the evenings a lot (pout pout), but I am back home now and am looking forward to the weekend. I am having to take down a couple of my feeders each night and hang again in the morning before work due to insistent and disgusting raccoons. I usually hear a squeak or two in the morning. I figure they are telling me "it's about time lady!"

I got my solar bird bath fountain this week. I hope that I can catch a hummingbird in it sometime. I will try to capture some photos this weekend to share. The gardens are going CRAZY too! All this rain and hot weather has put the plants on steroids. I hope my penstemon don't stay too wet for too much longer though. Tons of rain!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Beautiful Rose.....thanks for the new thread!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Sandusky, OH

Thanks for starting the new thread Dellrose, those shots are superb!! I,m hoping I get something similar before too long.
Nice shot Lily!
Nice shots Burn! I have been looking to see where this year's nest/s are. Had 2 nests last year and 1 the year before that.
Nice shot Nanny!
Took a drive out to my brother's house...he said 2 weeks ago he had quite a few Ruby's visiting the feeder's and then all but a couple disappeared. Must be nesting time like you mentioned Burn.
This female was browsing the fir tree's for a good couple of hour's and because of all the movement this was the best pic I could get.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

I don't get good ones very often!! The hour before dark is so cool to sit out on the porch because they just come nonstop. Just not good for photos!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

Good shots burn, Burd and nanny!

Sandusky, OH

Nice shot Nanny! I see them more in the evenings also.
Here's a couple of shots from today.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

one more after this shot..

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Twice the male perched on a stick with the red throat shining and I could not get the camera to focus right. lol

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Marlton, NJ

Wonderful shots Burd! Especially love the last one.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Nice shots Burn, Nanny and Burd!! With this awful heat I have not been taking many pics but managed a few group shots the other day.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I like the wings on the hidden Hummer!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Darling little jewels they are! Nice shot Rose, Burd, Burn and Nan. I'm pretty contented to learn that mine are here 'cause I get to see them in early morning and late in the evening at the feeder, so I replace the nectar bottles every 3-4 days. I'm glad you've shared the group shots Rose.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm enjoying this thread and everyone has such great photos. Rose, I liked that last one too.

Marlton, NJ

The last one is really nice!

Wow..nice Burd and Rose!!

I know what you mean about the heat. I have been having to saty in and I don't like it. At least I can get shots thru the windows of most everybody that comes to the yard!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

some better than others...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Was sitting out back when this guy came along...too bad the settings were wrong! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

I've been so envious of the wonderful shots you all have shared and often go back to see them just so I can ooh and ahh again.

Here's the first decent shot I was able to take today of a Female. She was so happy flitting among my Indica Canna blooms. Let's just say I stalked this little gal a while before she finally stopped and took a rest.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Marlton, NJ

That is a wonderful shot FOV!!

Nice ones nanny. Mine are coming too late for pics.

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Fruit,It pays off, waiting ,super shot Id be printing that one off..dell love the winged feeder also a super shot.Burd great shot glowing red..

1 of the boyz this morning...

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Marlton, NJ

Nice shot hugger!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Nanny, great job with your pictures.

Fruitofthevine, great job with yours too. I'm still waiting for my hummers to notice my cannas are in bloom.

Hugger, that's a handsome guy!

FOV...that is a great one!!

Do all cannas attract hummer or just some varities? I would like to try some next year.

Macon County, IL(Zone 5b)

Very cool pictures everyone! I tried the other night again and only got one hiding behind the bottle of the feeder! They are outsmarting me. Every time I get distracted waiting, they swoop in and grab a sip and take off. Grrr...still love 'em.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Way to go, huggergirl!

It was too dang hot again here today to do much outside but I did manage to plant more annual seeds and made a new batch of hummer food.

So far I have Red and Yellow Cannas blooming, nanny. The Pink & Peach ones are only about 1' tall and it will probably be another month or so before they bloom. So far the hummers have left the Yellow ones alone and are feeding solely on the Red ones.

Hummers are all over my magenta Monarda too. Just haven't had my camera with me at the right moment...yet.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Marlton, NJ

Another good one FOV!

flowers ,I cheat sometimes and put an eenie peice of scotch tape over 2 of the ports so they have to feed on my side,also set up on atripod and get a chair and your coffee,or set your camera on something higher and stable sit and wait ,oh put some red on ...they will love you in red

Marlton, NJ

I just heard First Nature Feeder is coming out with a new design in late July. They have had so many complaints about bugs getting into the feeders ( I had that problem a lot) that they designed a new one. You may or may not see them this year in the store, it depends on whether your store carries them year round.

That would be great! I have that issue with them and was another reason I wanted to get the front feeder hung so I would not to be bringing it in anymore. I have a real problem with bees late in the saeson too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

So far the basic upside down bottle works best for me. I've yet found ants invading these type of feeders. My decorative, fancy feeder continually attracting ants, so I alternate my nectar solution with plain 'ole water every other day to discourage the ants invasion.

Oooh I've good news; I saw two males (Rose go ahead and laugh, 'cause I'm laughing too) yesterday. That is a RECORD number for me! So I stake out to get their pictures, but I've gotten this purdy gal instead this morning. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.