How big does this get?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

hollywood juniperus scopulorum

found this at a local nursery and they look kinda neat, but I have a feeling they may get larger than the tag said. Does anyone know about them. Do they live a long time?

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Here's the PF listing: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54173/
The tag seems to have a few errors. Here's a pic of a nice specimen in downtown San Francisco that I took. I also have a few pics in snow.

Thumbnail by growin

well that is an interesting looking thing, kind of twisted.
thanks for the link.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I like it for it's random wind-swept look. Slow growing.

This one's just down the street from me.

Thumbnail by growin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I planted one almost 10 years ago and have always been disappointed, since it didn't develop the fabulous 'windswept' branching I was hoping for. But it finally seems to be developing some character, so I'm hoping my patience will turn out to been worth it. It's still just 3-4 ft tall. I've seen the most beautiful specimens in the west, so maybe the rigors of midwestern weather aren't to it's liking. If I remember this weekend, I can post a photo.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from growin :
The tag seems to have a few errors.

Yep; it's a cultivar of Chinese Juniper Juniperus chinensis, not of Juniperus scopulorum.

Mature height around 5-6 metres.

Resin

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Frilly,
The size listed on plant tags is usually the size of the plant at 10 years, or occasionally, 15 years. Plants never stop growing so I would allow a little extra room/space when placing a new plant in your landscape.

I decided not to plant them at all. I planted some red cedars instead.
I don't trust the tag and obviously they will get much larger than the tag said.

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I just planted a similar juniper, the tag said Juniperus chinensis Robusta. Here is a picture. So hard to tell what plant you are getting! On another thread, someone questioned whether my new Thuja occidentalis Danica is really that, and now I wonder about the Robusta. This spring, Resin pointed out that my Himalayan pine wasn't....a person could get really confused trying to plant a decent landscape!

Thumbnail by granitegneiss

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.