Containers 2010 - WHose IN! - part 2

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

We came from here....

Containers 2010 - WHose IN!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1095234/

Now its part 2!

Just a pot of goodies.. lotso goodies...!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Austin, TX

I often say I'm a pot gardener 'cause I live in the land of pure caliche and rocks, so it's containers or raised gardens. I do both. Here's a few of my current ones starting with group of C&S I just got.

Thumbnail by sylguy
Austin, TX

These are three biggys, two with Ixora and smaller annuals and the center with a mega-tiger canna. I'll show along shot and then a close up of the coleaus that threatens the world!

Thumbnail by sylguy
Austin, TX

now a shot of the Ixora on the left almost drowned out my coleus leaves bigger than my hand!

Thumbnail by sylguy
Austin, TX

Even the bugs backed off of this one!

Thumbnail by sylguy
Austin, TX

Two little watering cans that were favors. I sprayed 'em red and poked holes in them and they're fun.

Thumbnail by sylguy
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

WOW! That Ixora looks like a KONG COLEUS.. oOooh that reminds me, I must translplant my KONGS!

Im still messing with my loofas though.. Least now I have them cans sunk in the ground, but we been dodging nasty weather...

I just hope I get sponges this year.

Are you sure that is not a Kong coleus?? They could pass for twins!

Austin, TX

The Ixora is the perennial bush in the middle, I haven't a clue as to the gynormous coleus.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is one of my Kongs... is a dark colored one, but same shape leaf as yours!

These are just a little over a foot, maybe foot and a half tall without the spike

Austin, TX

The shape's a lot alike. Love your burgandy colors, yummy.

Do you ever deadhead your Kong Coleus?
CC

Austin, TX

I pinched of budding blooms last week, and I think I'l take cuttings. I looked bac through my own plant files and found that every year I'm drawn to that dramatic color combo of lime and raspberry. Here in the middle of all the dull green cedar (junipers), I look for strong color or white, to pop. Sylvia

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, I try to deadhead, but before i pinched.. it dropped some seed in the pot.
I have a cutting from Kong from last season. I do cuttings on the coleus when I can.

Austin, TX

Yikes I somehow erased what I was writing, if it comes through double, sorry.

Blossom, I love the one in the foreground in the deepest burgandy with the showy thin lime edge. Are all those cuttings, and in soil directly? I've alway grown coleus because they rmind me of my mom, but I'm so not knowledgeable. I'm a bit of a by darn and by golly grower.

I had a tremendous pot last year of one I got in a gallon can in Houston and I kept pinching it and it bushed out beautifully at the front door. I wasn't successful at keeping cuttings of it going. I'll see if I can find a pix. Even after it bolted while we were gone one weekend it stay lovely for another month or so.

Thumbnail by sylguy
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Cuttings of coleus are easy.. you snip, dip and put in soil... I take my cuttings and dip them in rootign hormone.. thenpoke the cuttings in cell flats and put them in my GPS.. (um, thats my lil glorified potting shed of a greenhouse.. if you click on to my handle you will see a series of GPS threads then go to one and you will she my lil greenhouse!)

Anyway, eazy peezy! just dont forget to water them and I do them all year round. Did a huge pile of them in my livingroom in the winter under lights!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love the kong!!!... yours looks so healthy.. mine usually get ratty from the rain

Austin, TX

Blossom, I looked up your threads, love you shed, we're planning a leanto against the house out back.
I'll be rootin' and wishin' I'm as lucky as you, THX.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Onewish.. PINCH it! Dont be afraid to pinch!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

never afraid to pinch... I didn't mean leggy... I meant the leaves get ratty with holes on mine every year

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

got nibblers? Mine will get holes poked from the rain

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh yeah I am sure that doesn't help either.. last year all my light green ones ended up as slug food

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I dont seem to have a pest prob with the coleus

Austin, TX

That Kong of mine y'all helped ID, has holes in lower leaves, but no bugs I've seen on early am checks. That coleus is too funny, I planted four and three took over in descending size from the direction of the am sun they get. There's papa bear, stunted poor baby, mama bear and big brother.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here is my container of nastuers and caladiums.It has been years since I could get Nastuers to grow in a container.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

More deck garden shots

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Tall trailing Nastuers

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love that 2nd container JoAnn.... your nasties look wonderful!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

As soon as its light enough I will try for an album of the deck planters. Many are turning out wonderful.The tubs I doubted would be so great are keeping their word.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is todays containers
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/ContainersJune28

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

8, 10, 12, and 14 are my favs!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nothing like those big showie caladiums.

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

a few of my containers... =)

Thumbnail by janemarierose
Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

another

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yum!!

Austin, TX

My new coleus arrangement.

Thumbnail by sylguy
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

very nice matches with the begonia.

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

here is another

Austin, TX

jane, that's a lovely group!
I croud on my deck 'cause that's my only sun. Here's how.

Thumbnail by sylguy
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

some shots from me

http://picasaweb.google.com/AllisonNJ71/20100629?feat=directlink

Austin, TX

One, your album is great. I especially love the basket posts, are they sunk in concrete?
I need to try Picasa to to groups/albums.

Thumbnail by sylguy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.