New Cuttings Help With IDs Please

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Coleus #1. Plant was the size of a small bush and growing in full sun. Rooted almost immediately.

Thumbnail by JolieB
Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Coleus #2. Also came from a plant the size of a small bush, grown in full sun & rooted almost immediately.

Thumbnail by JolieB
Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Coleus #3. Didn't think this one was going to root at all, over 2 weeks before it started to grow roots. Think maybe I left too many leaves on. Love this one!

Thumbnail by JolieB
Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Coleus #4. Colors are actually duskier, picture is a little too bright. The red is more of a grayish red. Tried identifying these myself, and think this one is something called a Perilla and not a Coleus at all. Can anyone confirm?

Thumbnail by JolieB
Columbus, OH

#1 looks like Alabama Sunset to me, #4 looks like Perilla Magilla.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much for ID'ing two of these!

Columbus, OH

Er, that would be #2 and #4. Good thing I can actually type.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

No problem at all. I'm just tickled to learn the names of these.

I don't know just what it is, but Perillas do look different. Yes, this one might be a perilla. They need a lot less water!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Ooh, a plant needing less water is great! I've been reading about perillas & can't wait to see what this one will look like once it's grown some.

Yes #4 is Perilla Magilla and it out grows almost any thing. Mine was 3' x 3' in about 6 weeks.
#1 may be Fishnet Stockings and #3 possibly the Flume.
CC

Could #1 be the coleus with 'wine' in the name? Phooey, just can't think of it.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Dipt in Wine?

Yes! anyone agree?

I don't have that one.

The Fishnet Stockings has about six 'limbs', being a foot tall, and every limb has different leaf patterns, and every set of leaves is different. One wakko plant! We'll see how it looks in a year's time.

I'd like to know the parentage.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I looked up both Fishnet Stockings and Dipt in Wine & think photo #1 looks closer to Dipt in Wine, although I know as the cutting grows the mature leaves won't look the same.

I've started yet another obsession! Zero coleus in the ground this year, now have the four cuttings above (although #4 is a perilla). The "plant lady" at a store yesterday broke off a couple of stems of an almost solid-colored, velvety leafed coleus for me to bring home (in water right now to grow roots), and DH called me earlier to say he was at a customer's & got permission to snag a couple of stems of a "really pretty coleus" to bring home to me.

Do you think these coleus (all from plants growing in full sun) will grow decently in part shade? I only have a teeny portion of my yard that gets full sun, and that flower bed is already full.

Go for the shade.

Yes, start with the shade, in EBuckets!!!!!!!!

Start here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1011889/

So sorry! But this is THE best way to grow any plant. Period.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2010 8:01 PM

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the link to the EBuckets thread, going to take me some time to read it all but wow!

Found a link to a coleus that "looks" almost identical to Coleus #1, link is still active on the site but a Google search turned up no other information. What do you think? Here's the link: http://www.rareplants.com/images4/c-avatar2.jpg

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

your #1 is beetleguise ?spelling named after the constillation. Gren purple and specks of red and yellow.I had this for years up north. Lost it in a move toFl. Would love a piece. Helene

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Helene, will happily share, once these get to a decent size. They're only about 3" tall now,
just put them in dirt the other day (they'd been rooting in a cup of water). Decided to pot them up & keep them in the house for a bit, we've been having blistering heat here, thought they'd have a better chance outside once they get some size to them. But I'll be more than happy to send you some once they're big enough to share.

Thank you so much for your consideration.
Does it have the yellow and red small dots? Then it is beetleguise, then I would love a piece will send $. Here too the heat is very demanding. Helene

i don't have much anymore - do have Limelight, anna, chocolate dots mini trailer, neon, not very strong yet and Alabama sunset also new.Want? Helene

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Helene, it seems that one of my new plants (the Perilla) came home with something wrong with it. I'd potted the rooted cuttings in a big pot with the other rooted cuttings pictured in my first posts above, and those are now looking sickly too. I'm about to post pictures in a new thread to see if anyone can tell me what happened to my (seemingly healthy!) Perilla & coleus. I am just sick about it, spidermites decimated my outside flower bed recently, and looks like my first attempt at growing coleus has failed, too.

Many times it can be from too much watering, especially noticeable in pots, which we often do baby too much and give too much water.

A local greenhouse has it growing wild, never watered, and it thrives there.

Perilla needs less water than coleus.I grew it a few years up north not knowing that it was not a coleus until toward the year when I moved.My SIL here grows it in intense heat and it works.

I am having problems here with mature plants dampening off. I atribute it to :Miracle Grow potting soil and the heat. (too much fertilizer mixed into the soil. My AV's plantlets the same thing.
This was my set-up in NY.
getting back into it again. Don't have the stands any more....

Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you both (re: perilla not needing much water). Really hoping it will revive & thrive,
the full plant I got the cuttings from was just beautiful.

Helene, love the setup you had!

Thank you:
make new plants with the parilla. it does look wonderful in summer

here is a link with cheaper set-ups for under light growing quite interesting. Should you be interested.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1040829/

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

for damping off add a half cup drugstore peroxide to one gallon water and water with that. Also good for Fungus Gnats.
Sidney

Thank you. much appreciated. New to Fl. gardening Helene

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Helene,
Welcome!
You are in great place to grow coleus and you have come to a great place to find lots of help.
I may come down close to you in Sept. I will, God willing, bring lots of coleus cuttings.
Hand delivery is the very best way to get cuttings.
Here's Tiny Toes on the left and Watermelon on the right.
Mexican Heather, Lime-Light on the bottom.
This picture was taken 6/22/'10
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Bolivar, OH

I think #3 is 'Pink Chaos'. I fell in love with it too. It does root VERY slowly and is definitely not a rapid grower for me. #1 looks like my 'Solar Shadow'.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Zoar, looked up Pink Chaos, and that is it! Yes, it is growing MUCH slower than my other cuttings. Here's a picture of what it looked like once I potted it up & put it near my kitchen window (where I've come to find out it wasn't receiving enough sun).
I thought it was diseased, but several people let me know it was still a healthy plant. Based on advice on this forum, I've moved it outside & really hoping some sunshine will get it looking like it does in that first picture, again. I love the colors on this one.

Thumbnail by JolieB

The colorsy all change drastically over winter and some are hardly recognizable as anything we either might have bought or received in a trade. Keep them labeled and take photos of the plant and label now because come December you may doubt your sanity.

Mount Laurel, NJ

I havn't labeled my coleus because I knew very well what all of them were. But now, I swear, some of them look like they are turning into something else! Some I can't tell what they are anymore! Yes - labeling them would be a good idea as they do indeed seem to change in the winter.

They certainly do!

New Hyde Park, NY

Some Coleus look the same in the winter and others change drastically! My green Alligator turns into a red Alligator in the winter and back to green in the summer. I label mine but sometimes they get mixed up when I am transplanting them into bigger pots or taking cuttings.

Mount Laurel, NJ

I have a leaf like #1, but as it grew bigger, leaves became more scalloped and a little more pointed. I think mine is 'Atlas'. It's hard to tell from just one leaf.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.