Viburnum pollination question

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I have a newly purchased V. plicatum tomentosum 'Shasta.' Does it need another viburnum for pollination? If so, suggestions welcome for a (preferably smaller) choice that would work well.

Also, I've read in several sources that V. dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy' doesn't need another variety for pollination. If this true or just hype?

Thanks in advance for any help-
Ruth

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Sigh. All the years of effort, and still there are the unbelievers.

Viburnums fruit best and heaviest when there are non-identical plants of the same species (or very similar species) blooming at the same time so that there can be cross-pollination. That means: plant two different clones of Doublefile Viburnum to get the best fruiting on both plants. You have 'Shasta' - get a 'Shoshoni' to partner with it. Don't just use two plants of 'Shasta', because they are identical.

'Shasta' can set some fruit if planted in isolation, but it will perform far more admirably when cross-pollination is possible. The terminology is self-incompatibility. There are many plants in the Rosaceae family (fruit trees are a good example) that behave this way as well.

Cardinal Candy™ (a selection of Linden Viburnum, V. dilatatum) can set fruit in isolation as well, but it will also perform far better with cross-pollination. My opinion is that it is the poorest performer of the V. dilatatum types, even with cross-pollination here in KY. All of the USNA selections are much better, as is 'Asian Beauty' and 'Michael Dodge'.

I have posted pictures here and elsewhere of these shrubs in a mass planting in Louisville KY ('Asian Beauty', 'Erie', 'Iroquois', 'Oneida', and Cardinal Candy™). CC is really the dog of the bunch.

No, VV, I'm not an unbeliever - just underinformed. Most of what I've read on cross-pollination has referred to V. dentatum varieties, and I needed suggestions for pollinators in the other species. Many thanks for the thumbs-down on 'Cardinal Candy'; I'll be happy to pass on that one. I haven't seen V. plicatum tomentosum 'Shoshoni'; any suggestions for reliable sources? Thanks again-
Ruth

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Not pointing at you, but at the "...several sources..." you mentioned. Worse - those probably stand to gain from the distribution of the misinformation.

I have written much and used Viburnum dentatum as a common example that can be grown just about anywhere. The principle applies across the genus.

I am sure (and I've stated my own observations) that there is anecdotal evidence of lone plants producing a decent fruit display. I'm sure it is possible. I have seen Viburnum setigerum do so. That said...the overwhelming evidence from science, research, botany, and personal observation is that dissimilar individuals allowed to cross-pollinate generates the finest fruiting. Skeptics can do as they will.

I don't buy many plants retail or mailorder, but I am pretty sure you'll be able to find what you want with good results from Classic Viburnums in Upland, Nebraska (and NOT because I was mentioned in the rating...).

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/5988/

Others here may have additional information for you.

Thanks, VV, for the possible source; I'll definitely check them out. And I agree, misinformation printed as gospel is highly irritating at best, not to mention a disservice to the plants and the gardeners.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.