Frost Proof Gardenia, Overwintering In Zone 6 :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

They're listed as zone 6 on many websites, I've got 3 now, 2 1 gal plants and a 3" pot plant. Has anyone grown them in the colder zones? I'm just interested as to how they've done?

Thanks Guys :")

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry Josh...I can only speak for 7A....she does just fine here!!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I just got mine last fall and I'm in Zone 8. I kept mine in a pot in the insulated potting shed in front of a window last winter. I don't think I'll plant mine in the ground just yet, might do another winter in the shed first.

Since you have 3, you might plant one of the larger ones out, and move the 3 inch one up to a larger decorative pot and keep that one and one of your bigger ones over the winter in an insulated gargage or simular structure if you have a place like that available.

This way if you loose one, you won't feel so bad as you would if you lost all three. Just an Idea...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That's a great idea, I have a nice cool basement :) I didn't wanna put the 3" out yet anyway, I thought it was a bit too small to be pushing it, ya know :)

Thanks for all the help!

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Where did you get the gardenia's that would live outside? I'm in 7a

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Crit - the ones I have in the ground here are: Frostproof, Shooting Star, and Chuck Hayes...I'd need to check my notes but I think those are it. I'll post pics when they come into bloom. Shooting Star came from an amazing mail order nursery that closed up a few years back. Chuck Hayes was purchased at an annual local spring show - but you should be able to find that one and Frostproof at many of the well known mail order places. Here's what vendors DG is showing as carrying them (Logees is a wonderful vendor) http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/go/138981/ and http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/go/151232/ (I've heard good things about Lazy S)

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much Chantell

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.