Frost Proof Gardenia, Overwintering In Indiana :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

They're listed as zone 6 on many websites, I've got 3 now, 2 1 gal plants and a 3" pot plant. Has anyone grown them in the colder zones? I'm just interested as to how they've done?

Thanks Guys :")

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If nobody here knows, you might post over in the Fragrant Gardening forum...lots of gardenia lovers over there.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I finally lost my G. Kleim's Hardy this winter. It struggled with our climate and never really did well.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The Kleims is supposed to be hardy to zone 7 isn't it? Oh lord, I'm sure now that the frostproof is already done before it got started

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I think it just didn't like our long cool summers without high humidity when it did get warm.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I have several 'Kleim's Hardy' gardenias here in zone 7a; they have been reliably hardy, even through last winter's nasty weather, and flower every year. They're a small but absolutely lovely gardenia; and if they can make it through the bitter cold winds that howl through here every winter, they're pretty darn hardy.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a Kleim's Hardy in a pot. It blooms nicely for me (in bloom now).
But I've had no success finding a suitable 'microclimate' for it to survive winter.
I'll stick with it being in a pot.
Here's a picture of a bloom from last weekend.

Edited to say I've had no success overwintering outdoors.
It has survived several years in a pot overwintering in unheated garage.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2010 4:28 AM

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Pittsburgh, PA

please describe how you cared for the plants in an unheated garage. watering? light? etc.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I put it near a window so it gets a little light, then water lightly every week or so.
Seems to recover quickly in the spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.