Use of fish emulsion fertilizer for coleus

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

What are your experiences?

Do you follow package directions or do you adjust for coleus like to half strength?

Best time to apply?

How often? Other fetilizer suggestions?

Thanks, Judy

Fish emulsion for outdoors, it' good stuff, but stinky.

My coleus gobble anything and everything I put on their plate!

If I goof, and they're drooping from being too wet, I put 1/2 a cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a gallon of water and flood their pot. And then I try to not over water!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I know this is an old thread, but I use a lot of fish emulsion in a spray to foliar feed. I always do this at dusk and when I finish put my clothes in the washer and head for the shower. I put a glup of FE in a gallon of warm water.
Coleus plants also like this poured on their roots too. I think it helps their color.
Sidney

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

That's a helpful tip. FE is nasty but if it works for coleus I'm game. I've planted coleus for years off and on but have really developed a love for them this spring. Thanks for the tip on FE

Kathy

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

I just bought my first three coleus for 2013 and am considering fertilizing them this year so I have a couple of questions.
1 - I've been growing coleus for about 8 years and have never used fertilizer except when I first pot them up. Then I always use a good quality soil and they get a dose of both EB Stone Starter Fertilizer and earth worm castings. The plants grow so big and look so good that they don't really seem to need any help. In fact I have to prune them back to keep them from taking over. I've never had any pests, and they only time they stress is when the drip irrigation system goes wacky and they dry out or get flooded. So would the colors be stronger and brighter? Would they be more likely to over-winter better as a full plant rather that taking cuttings? What other advantages would there be? Basically would it be worth the effort?

2 - If I do fertilize I'd like to use fish emulsion and am curious about how to use it to foliar feed as Sugarweed mentioned above. I've been told that it will clog the filter, so I'm assuming you strain it well first, but doesn't that take out too much of the good stuff?

Thanks for any information and or advice.
Annie

I've never had to strain. I use a pump mister and put a teaspoon of Alaskan FE in a liter of water.
I mist them good all over. Be sure and stay upwind of the mist. It does stink.
Pinch back every time I water.
Good luck,
Sidney

Morgantown, WV

Folks I got a stupid question how do you get the FE out of the container. I have it but the opening is small and I don't know how to get the stinky stuff out lol. It does stink.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:07 AM

Dottie, put the lid on and shake it really hard for about 30 seconds. See if it comes out. I have a gallon in Jax and put a pint in an empty detergent bottle. If yours still doesn't come out, add some water and shake again. I put a teaspoon in a gallon of water and mist my plants with a pump sprayer. I also add a drop of Superthrive.
;)

Morgantown, WV

Thanks sugar weed I didn't know how to get it out without making a total mess. At least I have something to try. I bought super thrive now where did I put it? Thanks for your info.

When I get a new bottle of superthrive I put some of it into a dropper bottle and find it much easier to use.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.