How to get annuals to return -

Franklin, TN

Many of my annuals return - Celosia, Petunias, Basil, etc (Zone 6B). Is there any way to get the others to return or is it an impossible task for Coneflowers, Marigolds, etc? Is there a botanical reason why they won't return? In the fall, I cut way back & mulch. Thanks for any advice.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Coneflowers are reliable here. I don't deadhead until winter to give the birds time to eat and spread seeds for me. Plus I don't really mulch much underneath them. Marigolds are easy to collect seeds from. I wintersow them actually in late Feb early March and then transplant out after the last frost date.

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I had one marigold seed survive the winter here in the northern tip of Kentucky, and the plant is blooming now. I have never seen that happen before--maybe I missed one while deadheading last year, lol. It's in a container, too.
So yours reseed and actually sprout in the spring, smb? Wow! What's your secret?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Renee:))

Hi, nice to see ya here! Oh, and yeah, the purple coneflowers grow thicker every year,

Franklin, TN

Ky woods - No secrets. My mom's beds of impatiens returned when she "hoed" them under after the first frost. They came up late but very thick. I use good dirt (compost) and plenty of mulch. Maybe it's the weather - I'm on the cusp of Zone 7 although last year we had a 9 day period where it did not get above freezing. I use tree chips for mulch. After a season or two it turns into dirt. The "seed lady" at the nearest nursery told me yesterday that ALL flowers are perennials if we handle them properly (whatever that means).

That could save us alot of money, lol. Thanks for the tip--hoe 'em under and mulch 'em down, I'll try it this year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.