Ideas for shade-tolerant trees for privacy screen?

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I have an area on the edge of the woods that doesn't see the sun until 2:30. I'd like to plant something that will give some privacy from the neighbor's property line. Evergreens are my favorite, but I can't think of anything I can use that would take that much shade. Anyone have an idea what might work, evergreen or not? Has to be zone 5a hardy.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

If it gets good sun after 2:30, both tsuga and taxus are quite shade tolerant. Chamaecyparis are also shade tolerant, but wouldn't take afternoon sun in my climate - maybe they'd be OK in yours. I have many of each in shadier locations which are thriving. Or how about a bushy viburnum? Though I guess none of the evergreen varieties would be hardy for your zone, if that's a deal-breaker.Just some thoughts...

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I just planted some burning bushes, I understand they will get 6-8 feet tall and wide, and they leaf out early in the spring, and have bright fall color. They do lose their leaves in the winter though, not evergreen.
But I think they are pretty hardy, and common to find, so not expensive. I bought 6 at Lowes and they are pretty good sized, 18"-2ft tall and I paid about $7 each for them, with a one year guarantee.

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

Yews are very hardy and shade-tolerant. Perhaps a row of Hicks' yews that will form a nice hedge over time.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh forgot about yews, they are evergreen, and some get quite large and would fill in nice, grow fast too I think.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Yews, 'Cuspitata' or 'Capitata' tolerate shade and can get quite big and wide (40'Tx50'W.) Also Thuga 'plicata' (Western Red Cedar) also tolerate shade and can get big and wide. I have two of these and like them alot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.