Several new cuttings.. need help

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I have about 6 cuttings of coleus that I took from a neighbors stock. Not sure of the names (she didnt know) but I'm pretty sure one is called Alabama Sunset. Some of the others have ruffled leaves. I'll try to post pic later. The battery in my digital camera needs to be replaced so I have to borrow hubbys camera..

I have them rooting in water but I'm curious to know if that is the way I should root them, or can they just be potted up? Also would like to know if it is ok to pot different types of coleus in the same container?

I have another coleus that I took two small cuttings from my moms plant last year.. I came here and was taught how to pinch... It has progressed and is now a good looking plant. I have high hopes for these new cuttings, just want to learn what my options are in caring for and propagating them.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Sure, you can plant them directly in a pot (more than one to a pot is fine as long as it's not a tiny pot) without ever rooting them in water first. You did eliminate all but the top leaves, right?

Please keep them in shade until they grow new leaves and, even then, in Alabama I'd guess you'd always have them in some kind of shade since I doubt they could take the heat of the day down there.

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks Pirl.. The pot is a shallow terra cotta planter about 12 inches across and I put about 6 cuttings in it.. I thought that might be a good place to start them, and it may turn out to be a good home for them. I do have them in the middle of a table on my covered patio.

You are correct, in this heat (97 today) on the first day of summer, coleus prefer shade.. Direct sun would be the death of them..

I used to be sad because there are so few Hosta that will grow here because of the heat... I wanted them for all the beautiful color and variety...Hosta will only grow well in the deep shade here and I don't have much deep shade in my yard. Once I discovered Coleus my sadness was gone.. What a fabulous subsitute.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wonderful solution for lots of color in shade!

That pot should be ideal for them. Please post photos as they grow. You can take cuttings from them, eventually, and hold them over winter in an east facing window.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.