Japanese Plum trees

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Does anyone have a Japanese Plum tree??? My neighbor down the street has one and said she would give me a offspring. She told me they grow very fast. I am looking for a fast growing tree to put in my yard. It would be out in the full sun with plenty of space to grow.

Sumter, SC

They grow very fast and the fruit is delicious. Get one (at least).

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

That looks really nice. Do you have one?? Can you tell me when they bloom and bear fruit. She might have two she can give me....looks like they are coming up in her yard in several places.

Sumter, SC

I planted my first Japanese loquat tree 5 years ago, and it bore fruit this year for the first time. I'm not sure exactly when they bloom - I think it's late winter, early spring. The blossoms are mildly fragrant, and the tree grows continuously from early spring until freezing weather arrives. My loquat fruit ripened in mid May.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010 10:39 AM

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Just curious....how big was your tree when you planted it Donna. About how tall is it now? Just trying to get an idea where would be the best place in my yard to plant one. The one my neighbor has is about 15 or 20 ft tall (I think) and about 7 years old...not really sure.

Sumter, SC

It was a nice specimen, about 4' tall. I brought it home in the back of my car. As you can see, it has grown rapidly since I planted it 5 years ago. Yesterday, I limbed it up, which gives me more room for a perennial garden. (I had to cut the lower limbs because they were blocking access to my perennial gdn. I also tied some of the limbs together, trying to achieve a more upright growth habit These trees take up a lot of space. Now, I'll definitely need a ladder next spring to harvest the fruit. I think they grow up to 30' tall x 20+ wide. They grow so fast, it's not necessary to waste money on large specimens.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2010 8:21 PM

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Donna, sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I would love to see a tree in the corner of my big "open" yard grow 30 ft. tall. I need som shade down here in this Georgia heat! Thanks for the information....I am going to get one from my neighbor that's about 3 ft. tall. Shouldn't take long for it to grow based on what you have told me and what my neighbor told me too.

On another note....my mom & dad use to live in Sumter SC on Conyers Street. I have not been there in years but use to take my children to Swan Lake when they were little. We are talking about 30+ years ago. I went to Alice Drive Junior High School!! Very small world. You can Dmail me if you like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.