Bacillus Thuringiensis or Spinosad - spray or powder

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

My cabbage family plants are being destroyed by worms. I've been hand picking for a while now (chickens love them) but can't seem to keep them under control. So now I'm looking to purchase an organic insecticide and have found Bt kurstaki and Spinosad to be the primary options. My questions are, which one is most effective and is it better to apply as a spray or powder? Any other product recommendations would certainly be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance,

Sadie

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

Bt won't normally kill any worm type insect. i don't know about the kurstaki strain though. the spinosad would be my first option.

if you have an ace nearby, see if they carry fertilome borer, bagworm & leafminer liquid concentrate. that's what i use. it has spinosad in it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If the "worms" are cabbage loopers (or some other type of caterpillar) then Bt will work on them.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i had armyworms on my mind, those and sawfly larvae, but ecrane is right. cabbage loopers are cats.

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Thanks. I ordered Green Light Organic Lawn & Garden Insect Control Spray With Spinosad from Amazon.com (http://amzn.to/cDXArJ). I'll let you know how it does.

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

BT kills larvae of Lepidoptera,characterised by six forelegs; but doesn't work on Hymenoptera or other species.

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

The Spinosad seems to work well but I have to apply more frequently than recommended.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I use Bt for caterpillars of all kinds and it works, even on tent caterpillars that were eating my oak trees.
I alternate with spinosad, especially if I have scale, thrips or other insects eating the leaves along with the caterpillars.

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Calalilly

Most Bt products available commercially work on all kinds of true caterpillars; ie larvae of lepidoptera. Many people refer to similar looking beasts such as gooseberry sawfly larvae, which are hymenoptera, as "caterpillars". The same strain won't afect them. Strains of Bt are insect specific.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Patgeorge, wasn't saying you were wrong, just that it works on caterpillars including army worms. Don't have sawflies that I know of (wow, a bug we don't have!!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.