what kind of turtle this is

Ashland City, TN

I’m not sure if anyone considers turtles part of wildlife gardening but I thought I’d give it a try anyway. My dog got hold of this baby turtle. Does anyone know if it is a box turtle or snapping turtle. We do have water by our house but I think this one came from under a wood pile. The second photo shows the wound from my dog chewing on him before I caught him. The shell is cracked and chipped. I had to move the shell back into place but it looks like it is just missing that little chunk. Do I need to doctor him or can I just put him back under the wood pile?

Thumbnail by scarediecat
Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

Hey scarediecat,
Looks like a common box turtle. Snappers can't pull their head and legs into their shell. Unfortunately, there is probably very little you can do to help this one. If it too badly damaged it won't live. You'd probably do best to put it in an out of the way place, cool and shady and away from your dog.
PS you can respond to your own post

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Yep, eastern box turtle. We have them all over our woods here in northern Kentucky.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 6b)

He looks like he has the same injuries that one I found the other day had. The one I found had healed up and he was doing fine. I agree with JulieQ. Put him in a shady place and where your dog can't get him. He'll probably be fine.

Teaneck, NJ

I agree eastern box turtle for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_box_turtle

This message was edited Feb 5, 2019 7:08 PM

Watermill, NY

You can always check around for a wildlife rescue organization who might be able to try to treat problems.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.