Can I see a pic of Setosa moonvine?

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Can't find it in the database and google search doesn't really come up with anything concrete.

Thanks!

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Is setosa considered a "moonvine"? Mine always bloomed during the day.

I know that the lavender moonvine has those soft thorns, too. And it blooms in the evening. Am growing my very first one this year, thanks to Doug! :-) :-) :-)

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Maybe I'm wrong....maybe it isn't a night blooming one? I just assumed it was. Will it bloom as an annual here in zone 5?

Thanks

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Sandy,

The I. setosa will grow easy for you as an annual in your climate.
It is a tender perennial in the tropics.

It is also a regular day blooming MG. You may be thinking about Ipomoea macrorhiza as the Pink Moon Vine.

My setosas that I am growing this year are already about 15' long, so give yours plenty of room.

Here is one of my photos of I. setoda

Emma

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Here is a link to photos of the I. setosa I grew a couple years ago. It's got some pretty interesting looking vines! I loved it and so did the butterflies and bees! Must be a good nectar plant! :-)

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/beckygardener/7472/

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I gave out all my setosa seeds that I grew from Emma last year in the MG swap, and I loved it. It grew in Full sun, and ran the length of my north fence very nice and rambling, giving me abudant blooms and lots of pollinators.. You will be glad you grew it. I am not growing it this year. I also grew lavender evening vine, from Emma and sent out tons of those seeds, it was lovely on the patio, and the pink moonvine Emma refers to, I have in two caudex forms. The Setosa bloomed in the morning, and the others at night. Here is one on the Patio. { Lavender Moon Vine)

This message was edited Jul 1, 2010 12:59 AM

Thumbnail by joeswife

the setosa is all over the cleome and heading East to the lower corner in this shot of it.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Setosa is Big, Beefy and Exotic. It is a beautiful bloom. It's look can make you think it is stickery on the stem, but it feels like a soft furry catepillar, its clusters are intriguing, and I wish I were growing it again.

Thumbnail by joeswife

the stem is in focus here, not the bloom.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info and pictures everyone! I'm looking forward to the blooms

Debra - I love this photo: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7934748

And I agree with you ... the stems are the focus of this unusual MG. It is a fascinating vine to grow.

Sandy - Do you have seeds for Setosa? If not, I may have just a couple to share with you. I gave most of my seeds away several years ago, but if you would like 3 seeds, I can share. :-)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

dang that looks like it will hurt. never seen this mg but looks like it would bite.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Becky....thanks for the offer! Yes, I do have seeds and hopefully they'll grow and produce some nice blooms. Our nights have been getting down into the low 50's, I think all my plants are confused!

Marie - It looks like a man-eater, but it's really a pussy cat! :-)

Sandy - Unbelievable ... 50's! It's unbearably hot here. I wish we could average the temps between your zone and mine, then we'd both have desirable gardening weather. ;-) I hope it warms up for you. That will cause slower growth and germination with MGs.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

ok will have to see about finding some seeds. got enough man eaters in the yard already. hubby just fought with bradford pear other day and it had blackberries all in it.

Marie, weren't you in the swap? I sent everyone setosa seeds in the swap.

Marie - Yes! Debra is correct ... everyone in the swap got one of her setosa seed packets. Look through your seeds, as I am sure they are there. :-)

Thanks to Debra for sharing those seeds with many of us! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.