Heidi Chronicles: Baby Talk 2010

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing story of Heidi and friends, raccoons and the occasional opossum who frequent my backyard wildlife buffet.

The 1st few kits began showing up recently. It should just be a matter of time now before we have lots of kits at the buffet, either that or Heidi may run the other moms off now so that she can safely bring her kits to dinner w/o having a crowd around them.

Prior Thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1099471/
Original Thread in Series: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/603944/

The photo below was the key to a major epiphany I had recently. I will reveal this shortly along with the name of the raccoon in the picture.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Those same 3 kits were back at the buffet the next day (after I 1st reported them). They were in that same, small, black cherry tree like a repeat of the day before. This time they climbed from the tree to the fence. They were too far away for the flash to light the properly that late in the day, but I tried to get a quick pic. Here is a pic I got of 2 of the kits as they scrambled along the fence. I'm pretty sure now that I know the ID of the mother, but you will be quite surprised to learn who she is. Hint: she is neither Heidi nor one of the 09 yearlings. Her identity is connected to the big epiphany mentioned above, the one that's related to the cover pic. I don't have time to get into that right now but will reveal it later today when time allows.

You can tell these are very small kits. Note how the one on the fence has to strain to reach the bar to walk.

Anyone care to guess whose kits these are?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I'll give you another hint. Here is the mother. This is her characteristic pose.

; D

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Mom doesn't have Bast's coloring, or her poor mangled foot, if it's the right rear that's injured/infected. The other one who comes to mind, because she previously brought the kits to dinner when they were much too young, is Dennis. Dennis?? After all this time? The kits are just precious, but man they are way too young to be sitting there unattended.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

About a month ago there was a raccoon who reminded me for all the world of Jerry, so much so that she made me laugh every time I saw her. She showed up ever day, always stayed back by the pool, and stood upright to get my attention when she wanted something. Because she and one other raccoon routinely ate back there, often I would toss some food back there at the start of the meal even if they hadn't arrived yet. If I failed to do so, or if that food ran out, this raccoon who reminded me so much of Jerry would always stand upright with her hands out as if to catch food - or a ball.

Likewise, when I would give out treats, this raccoon would stand upright, hands out, at the back of the crowd asking for a treat. I liked her, so much so that one night I secretly tossed her the much coveted frosting can to lick. I meant to tell you guys about her. She was such an interesting curiosity. She reminded me so much of Jerry, but, of course, she wasn't. Still, I couldn't quite make sense of how she had acquired Jerry's unique method of communicating with me when there was no one around from whom to learn the behavior. Hmm.

Oddly enough, and I do feel silly now in hindsight, but the other raccoon who stayed back there with Jerry was one with a longish, thick, luxurious, red coat quite reminiscent of Reba - but, of course, it couldn't be... Perhaps it was one of Reba's daughters, I thought. I didn't really give it a lot of concentrated thought, just miscellaneous thoughts playing upon my mind as I watched the various raccoons as they ate. At that time, the group consisted of Heidi, her 3 female yearlings, and these 2 unidentified extras, one that seemed like a Jerry clone and one that could have been Reba.

More recently there seemed to be a strange changeover in the dinner guests. No longer could I find Heidi's 3 yearlings among the group. The Jerry clone was gone. The Reba-like one remained along with Heidi and Bast, and a bunch that I could not ID.

In my last 'real' post some days back, I mentioned a very 'sweet' and friendly, smallish 'yearling' whom I could not ID. She had come right up under my hip (the part hanging over the edge of the seat.lol). This was very odd. The various raccoons have different comfort levels around me, but almost none is so comfortable as to walk calmly up under me to eat. At present, Bast is probably the most comfortable around me of all that are out there. Bast routinely sticks her head under me to drink from the bottom shelf of my little Garden Buddy seat. No matter how thirsty they are, the others will not do that. It's a very bold and trusting move for a wild animal, but then Bast surely knows how much I helped her last year when she could not help herself. She was fairly comfortable around me before her injury and now has emerged almost as comfortable as a pet. I can touch Bast, and she is completely unaffected and unconcerned by my touch. But the smallish one that had recently begun coming up beside me to eat was not Bast, so who could she be?

The very next day as I was walking out, that very friendly smallish one was there again. This time she touched my leg a time or two with her nose as I walked out. I was bothered by that. I don't mind being touched by the ones I know like Heidi or Bast but am troubled by the touch of those I don't know so well. I guess it's a little like having a strange person move too close and violate your personal space. It's ok when close friends come into your space but not strangers.

As I sat down this strange new and very friendly raccoon who seemed to have come from out of no where was right up beside me eating the kibble I had dropped while tossing handfuls to the others. I put a handful of food down beside me for her and, once again, reveled in the ease with which she ate so close to me. How curious she was.

The order in which the next events occurred is something of a blur to me. I really don't know which came 1st, the idea or the touch. I only know that I suddenly had a strong urge to touch her back to see how she reacted. If she really was some yearling that had become comfortable near me, she would move away from my touch looking back at me from a safer distance to gauge my intent. Then seeing that I meant her no harm, she would go back to eating but this time would stand at a more cautious distance just beyond my reach.

I reached out and placed my hand on her back. Her body stood firm beneath me. She didn't move away. She didn't even flinch. She stood as solid and motionless beneath my hand as I would expect from Widget. I pressed my hand down on her more firmly, not trying to push her down, just making a very solid connection with her - not a light touch but a very solid one. Still, no reaction at all. OMG! I looked at her. Could this be? Was it possible? But...but it had to be. This 'sweet' and very friendly 'yearling' could ONLY be Dennis. ONLY Dennis had ever been so comfortable with me. ONLY Dennis would behave this way. But, OMG, she was the last raccoon I had expected to find here at my feet 3 yrs later.

For the 1st time, I allowed myself to look at her not as a 2010 yearling but as a possible Dennis. She was small as was Dennis. She was very dark in color as was Dennis. She stood in Dennis' characteristic pose as she ate, that rounded back stance with her weight on her back feet, sort of like a hen. Most of all she was totally nonplussed by my touch. Yes, incredibly, this was Dennis. I felt silly that I had not recognized her sooner. I offered her a marshmallow. She sat upright and, using both hands, took the mm gently from my hand. When she had eaten 2 mm's, I said, "no more" and put the bag away. She spend the next few minutes continually trying to reach into my bag and plunder about in search of those mm's. No matter how many times I told her to "quit it" she just kept nibbling food around the edge of the bag waiting for the next opportunity to sneak a peek in the bag. Oh, yes, this was definitely Dennis! I had no idea what she was now doing here with the 2010 group, but the one thing of which I was absolutely certain was that this was Dennis.

Shortly after I had ID'd Dennis, she was happily eating at my feet, and I resumed watching the group at large. It was then that I saw the Reba-like raccoon as if for the very 1st time. With new eyes, I watched as she picked up the large chunks of Purina Dog Chow that I had tossed back there near the pool. She picked up the chunks one at a time and carried them over to the pool where she dipped them in the water as if to soften them for eating. Note the cover picture for this thread. That's the Reba-esque one dipping a dog food chunk that she had taken to the pool. She did this with every single chunk of dog food, picking them up and walking on her hind legs to carry them to the pool. I had watched her do this so many times before. It had always seemed like a lot of work, but she always did it the same way. I had always been surprised and impressed by her ability to walk on her hind legs while carrying the dog food to the pool, especially as she often had to maneuver around other raccoons on the way.

I say that I had watched this many times because this was exactly what Reba had done with her food a year or so earlier when she had been here. Reba would eat cat food the normal way, but any time I gave her the cheaper, and often larger sized, dog food, she always walked back and forth carrying it to the pool to soak it this way. Sometimes, taking note of this, I would just toss her food directly into the pool to save her the work of carrying it. She like this and would respond by standing in the pool to eat. Now it was so obvious. I didn't know why I hadn't seen it before. This wasn't a raccoon who looked like Reba. This WAS Reba.

Almost as soon as I recognized Dennis and Reba, I saw Cissy's face in the 'crowd', a face I had looked at daily and ignored until now. She had been here for weeks, comfortable around me, not so outrageously comfortable as Dennis but comfortable still. I had known from day one that her face with the frosted salt and pepper look was familiar but like Jerry and Reba and Dennis before her, I had unconsciously rejected the idea of who she was. Knowing as I did that these members of the 2007 and 2008 litters were long gone, I hadn't even allowed myself to consider the possibilities. And now, having bridged that gap to recognize 1st Dennis and then Reba, now I could clearly see Cissy, as well.

I don't know what happened to the 2010 yearlings. Frankly, I don't see them around lately. I see Heidi, Bast, Dennis, Reba, Cissy, and a few others I don't recognize but who are obviously part of the group. I don't know where the 2010 yearlings have gone or why and how these older raccoons have managed to return at this time. Some time back when Heidi had the group down to just herself and her 2010 yearlings, I mentioned that others would likely take advantage of the time when Heidi's kits are young and come to the buffet during that time because Heidi is unwilling to fight (unless absolutely necessary) when her kits are small. Perhaps these older raccoons, remembering the good food at the buffet, have taken advantage of this opportunity to come back while Heidi's defenses are down.

This definitely changes my model for how things work within the group and for who will stay and who will go each year. I had believed I would not see old friends like Dennis again but now I see that I was wrong about this. It seems now that old friends like Dennis may come back every year even if only for a brief time while Heidi is busy raising her young kits.

And, yes, Ruth, you were right. The mother of those kits appears to be Dennis. Like you said, it figures since she is the one who is known to drag very young kits around the forest. The 2nd day when Dennis finished her meal, she went up into the Heidi tree. I was watching her and trying to figure out what she was doing. Then I heard her call the kits. The kits, BTW, were in a totally different tree. They were in the small, black cherry tree a good 20ft further down the fence line. Dennis apparently expected to find them in the Heidi tree. When she called them, they came down from the top of the cherry sapling. They struggled to climb onto the fence and make their way to her. Seeing them, she climbed down the limb of the Heidi tree and headed down the fence toward them. She and the kits met midway on the fence and disappeared into the forest. (The pic below is of Dennis climbing down the limb to collect her kits. Here again, it was dusk and she was too far away to be lit by the flash.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

You know, as poor as Dennis' parenting skills are - and clearly they are poor - I think she is showing signs of improvement. Even her behavior around me seems much more mature than that of the yearling Dennis. That she went up into the tree looking for the kits and came back down to collect them before leaving actually shows a major improvement over that 1st year when Dennis just came and went as usual expecting the tiny tots to follow her. It doesn't make her a great parent, but it does coincide with my theory that these young mothers will improve over time (some more than others, of course) as they mature.

OMG, that's fabulous; three of the old-timers for a buffet reunion! When I guessed Dennis, I figured that was highly unlikely, as you did; but I couldn't think of anyone else who brought kits that young to dinner. How wonderful that you're having a chance to become reacquainted with her after so long. And it is encouraging that she looked for and met the kits halfway before leaving; I still haven't gotten over the time she left tiny babies in your yard and disappeared. That is an improvement: she certainly will never be a Heidi, but it gives one hope that someday she'll be a reasonably competent mother.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

How nice to see them again!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow!! I got a little choked up over all of this exciting good news. Dennis!! This is just so interesting. Wonder where she and Bast have been. i would love to see another baby pic or buffet...heck any and all of the pics you get are treasures to see.
I say rock on Mama coonies(/i) and their buffet mistress!!

somehow I had lost this thread. I am so glad to have found it. We need to figure out a means to get a breeze and shade for you for the evening buffet.

^_^
Sheri

Maybe you could build a shelter out back with a swamp cooler in it...the raccoons would never wanna leave, lol.

ROFL ^_^

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight I went to the back door and OMG...

At 1st I only saw Dennis, but then as I drew close enough to see them over the bottom portion of the door (roughly 8in high), OMG, there on my patio right up against the door with their Mom were 3 of the cutest, fluffiest, most adorable little poof ball kits you could ever want to see! I just couldn't believe it. I've never had such tiny tots on the patio before, not that I've seen anyhow. And in broad daylight, too!

I grabbed my bag, threw in some cookies and my camera and headed outside with visions of me spoiling baby raccoons in my head. When I stepped out onto the patio, the kittens, which were about the size of my size 5 feet, and were so close I had to be careful where I stepped. They were, oh, so adorable. Then as all of the other raccoons started milling around this way and that in route to the buffet, the kits disappeared.

At the buffet, I fed Dennis, Cissy, and 2 other raccoons, but there was no sign of the kits. I kept asking Dennis where they were, but she was too busy scarfing down cookies and begging for more to pay attention. Eventually, Heidi showed up. Still no kits. A little while later I finally saw the 3 kits. Apparently during the commotion while everyone was heading out to the buffet, they had gone back over the fence to hide in the forest. Now as we neared the end of the meal, I saw them climbing up that little cherry tree again, the one just over the fence. They went all the way to the tippy top of that small tree, a tree so small that the top swayed considerably when the wind blew. I was scared for them dangling around up there, but they didn't fall.

I tried to take pics of the kits up there in the tree, but by that time the sun was going down and they were so far away. Often I could barely see parts of them as they were so well hidden by the foliage. At one point while I was straining to try to find them in the tree on the camera's LCD, Dennis took advantage of the opportunity to steal cookies from my bag - because she could see that I wasn't watching the stash. Some things never change. I saw the kits watching us, so I took advantage of the opportunity to feed Dennis cookies hoping they would see that she wasn't afraid of me.

Unfortunately, Dennis never called the kits down to join us. I was very disappointed as I had hoped she would bring them to me like she did that very 1st year. A few minutes later, Dennis went around behind me to drink from my garden buddy seat, and then she disappeared. I didn't see her in the tree around the kits or anywhere around the buffet, and I didn't see the kits come down out of the tree. I was confused about where she might be. If she had left, the kits should have gone, too, but they were still up at the top of the tree waiting for her.

Finally, I decided to call it a day. On my way back to the house I found Dennis. She was walking around the base of the ornamental pear tree about 1/2 way to the house. At 1st I couldn't figure out what she was doing there, sniffing around the tree. Then I realized that she had apparently lost her babies AGAIN. At the start of the meal she had been to interested in eating to pay attention to where they were headed. Later when I was watching them climb the cherry tree in the edge of the forest, she was scarfing down cookies and stealing more from my bag. Apparently, although I knew exactly where her kits were, she did not. She must have expected them to stay in the pear tree. Perhaps they stopped off there in route to the forest, and now she smelled their scent on the tree. I don't know. Poor thing. She never was the brightest tool in the shed, you know? When I came inside, she was still looking for them in the pear tree (which is in my yard) a good 50 - 75 ft from the small cherry sapling in the edge of the forest where they were actually waiting for her.

Awww, she'll find them. They'll be crying for her soon enough, lol.
I just came back from watching three fuzzballs all crammed into the birdbath, with the fourth down below, trying to find a way in! Finally, Mom called them back into the woods. They were up on the back porch with Mom, at the food dishes right before that. Oh, how I wish I could have gotten a picture of them all stuffed into the birdbath, but I would've scared them off!

I bet that was just the most precious sight...Dennis and her 3 puffballs. Would 1 fit in your hand or are they bigger? She sure is a casual mother. Very interesting!!

Dear me, Dennis never ceases to amaze. It's pretty darn difficult to lose your kits with senses as sharp as a raccoon's. But then, as you say, she never was the sharpest tool in the shed. How cool, though, that you got to see the little ones so close at hand, however briefly. Granted that they shouldn't yet be out and about, it's still a very very rare treat to see young that small close at hand in the wild. And why am I not surprised at Dennis remembering how to steal the treats from your bag? Can't find her kits, but remembered that trick for years...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

So glad to find Dennis back in the story. I think she just gets excited about showing you her babies and brings them too early, then gets excied about the food and forgets them. Funny! She reminds me of all the ADHD kids I've worked with. Just can't get her act together enought to get things done exactly right, but you have to love her anyway.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi KyWoods,

Oh, those fluff balls in the birdbath sound too adorable! That would have made an awesome picture, but I totally know what you mean about those awesome [almost] photo ops, the ones that are just beyond perfect except that any attempt to capture the picture would destroy the moment. Although this doesn't compare to photos of tiny kits, I would have dearly loved a few photos from some of those days when the raccoons were lying down sleeping on the patio waiting for me in the afternoon, except that every time I got close enough to the door to try to take a picture, the raccoons always recognized my presence and got up. Drat! Some of those awesome images will just have to live on in our minds eye.

I wasn't really worried about Dennis. I knew she would find them eventually, especially with Heidi's mature and responsible presence out there to keep things straight. That's why I didn't even bother to hang around. I just went inside and left it to them to figure out. I figure, heck, who watches over them in the forest, anyhow? lol. She somehow manages to keep up with them the rest of the time.

Too funny, that Dennis. I can just picture you turning to go in , thinking "heck..."

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I tried to grab a shot of the 3 kits while they were still low on the tree trunk, but only 1 of them actually showed up in the picture. The others are either hidden in the foliage (much of which I cropped) or managed to scurry out of the picture before the shutter closed. I really thought I had all 3 of them, but the other 2 disappeared somewhere. Now I know why Dennis has so much trouble keeping up with them.

Unfortunately, w/o an adult in the picture for comparison, you can't really tell how tiny that tot really is. Just remember that the tree trunk is only about 4in D. Note that the trunk is narrower than the fence boards.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Sheri,

I could definitely hold one of the kits in my hand. If you look at that picture I just posted, note how the narrow cherry leaves (which are relatively small leaves) compare to the kit's head which is only about the width of 3 leaves. When viewed in sunlight, you can also see that the kits are actually much smaller than they appear because they are 2/3 hair. Their hair is kind of long and shaggy/fluffy right now and it stands off from their bodies making them look bigger, but you can see the light shining through the hair when they stand in the sunlight as when they were on the patio. They are too adorable for words. Their true cuteness factor somehow doesn't come through in photos.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTFLOL, Susan!

I think your description of how Dennis thinks is probably spot on - and too funny! I love Dennis, and I'm very glad to have these brief opportunities to see her again from time to time. She's one of a kind. She has brought me both the most joy and the most annoyance of any of the raccoons.

And, yes, I've always thought she must surely be proof that animals can have ADHD, too. My nephew has ADHD. He stayed with me for a weekend when he was about 11. I love him, but he all but drove me insane. He would ask a question, and then before I could get the answer out of my mouth he would literally be on the other side of the room doing something else entirely. I bought him pizza for lunch - hey, he's not my kid, and I don't have to pay his medical bills. He said he wanted pizza. I set up the picnic table in the backyard with the pizza, Coke, etc. He sat down, took ONE bite, and then instantly tela-ported to the other side of the yard where he reappeared climbing the fence to look over the other side and yelling for me to come climb it with him - oh, yeah, that's going to happen. So, I know a kid with ADHD personally, and Dennis really did act just like him, especially the 1st year. She's calmed down considerably now that she's 3. The adolescent Dennis was really something to deal with. LOL, just remembering her antics. Anyone remember when Dennis dunked the dog in the pool? Or when she hid from the dog when the dog was chasing her and then reemerged behind the dog to sniff the dogs backside while the dog was still actively looking for her? Those were the days!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This pic, however lousy, shows 2 of the tots in the top of the tree. It's a lousy pic, for sure, and they are well hidden, to boot, but if you look closely you can see the striped tail of one kit near the center of the right side of the pic. The other kit is to the right and slightly above that one. Once you find the 2nd kit, you can see its eye looking at us. It's a rough picture, but it shows how the kits are up at the top of a very small tree. They are up above the trunk. See how there is nothing up there but skinny branches. I don't even think those branches would hold the weight of an adult raccoon - so the Mom couldn't even go up there to help them if they got in trouble. (Heidi would never have let her kits go up there.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth,

Dennis is something else, isn't she - and she has actually improved since the 1st year. lol.

Heidi would never put her kits in such a small tree or so high up like that. Dennis' kits chose their own tree. That's another thing Heidi doesn't permit when they are so young. I wonder though if Dennis, in her own bumbling way, may actually be trying to do what she sees Heidi doing. Before Heidi actually brings her kits to dinner the 1st time, she always brings them to the edge of the forest and leaves them in a tree where they can watch the action at the buffet and she can keep an eye on them. Heidi leaves her kits in a much larger, more mature tree. She leaves them at the crotch of a low branch just above the fence. She chooses branches that are considerably larger, thicker and more sturdy than the trunk of that little cherry tree. (Heidi would never put her kits in the top of that small cherry tree.) Heidi apparently also teaches her kits to stay where she puts them, something I gather Dennis has glossed over since her kits wander around choosing their own tree and ending up somewhere totally different than where Dennis thinks she left them.

Poor Dennis (and her poor kits). She does get a little carried away when there are cookies involved. When I 'cut her off' after a few cookies (since these days I have to conserve treats), she can be quite annoying. She looks in my pockets and tries to sneak a peek in the bag. One day she was so annoying (that plus the steamy heat) that I just got up and left. Everyone had been fed already anyhow.

BTW, wasn't it you who suggested Bast would be ousted as soon as her kits were weaned? Well, she hasn't been at the buffet for 4 or 5 days now. She's usually one of the ones waiting at the door. If she doesn't show up soon, I'm thinking Heidi has sent her on her way. Oh, well, at least I had the chance to 'fatten' her up and get her through the nursing stage.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Jerry is back again. Shown here standing back by the composter while I was passing out cookies.

I can't help but wonder what Queen Heidi thinks of all this activity. I'm just assuming that her nest is somewhere near and picture her telling her kits that "that is entirely not the behaviour that is acceptable for any of mykits!! Then going on to saywhen I take you on outings, you must stay in line, hold hands and listen carefully to my instructions

This is the bestest of all the threads on DG!!!^_^

Sheri

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sheri,

:-D

Thank You!!!

Heidi would definitely beat Dennis in a Mother of the Year contest, lol. I may have a Dennis mom here, too...
Last night I was sitting in the sun room watching the raccoons eat. There was an adult at each of three bowls of black oil seed, when Mom came up with two of her four kits toddling behind her. She proceeded to climb up to the bird feeder and eat. The babies approached one of the adults at a bowl, who growled at them, sending them running. Mom didn't defend them or even go after them. She just kept eating!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

What you described is the behavior I see from most of the other moms at the buffet.

I didn't realize what an incredible Mom Heidi was until I started observing the other raccoon moms. By comparison Heidi really seems to be in a class by herself. She really has her act together and takes no chances where those kits are concerned. One of the many things that speaks to her attitude of not taking any chances with her babies is ... when she brings the little ones to the yard for the 1st time, she plans that out to the last detail. She leaves them on a sturdy limb in a large tree just over the fence behind where she eats. She comes down, eats her fill, and then goes back to bring them down. Having already eaten her meal, she will then be able to give them her undivided attention while they eat and play. If ANYTHING goes wrong, anything at all, she will pack them up and take them home immediately, end of story. Better to cancel the trip than loose a kit is her motto.

One time a dog down the street barked just when she had gone back for the kits and had them lined up on the fence ready to come down to the buffet. As soon as the dog barked, that was the end of their outing. She immediately turned them around on the fence and took them home. That's how she is the 1st few weeks when she starts taking the kits out for 'field trips'. She really has her act together and takes no chances. I'm really quite impressed, no amazed, by the discipline with which she raises kits. I think she could write a book for human Moms: The Heidi Book of Parenting or Parenting, Heidi Style.

Hey, I bet Heidi's book would be a bestseller, being gifted to irresponsible parents by annoyed and concerned family members, friends, and strangers, LOL.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I was thinking along the same lines, KyWoods LOL! I am sure that it would be one of those 'world class' parenting books; translated into 25 languages, on the best seller lists in many countries...

Madison, AL

I was reading another thread tonight and a person on there (to remain unnamed) talked about how he/she drowns raccoons because they are a nuisance. This person said it is illegal to transport them anywhere else, the state is "overrun" by raccoons, and it is not illegal to kill them - just to transport them. This person lives in an area where it is not legal to shoot, so this person drowns them! That horrified me. Another thread I read last night had a person talking about English sparrows being such a nuisance that he kills all he can - discussed how to catch a male in a plastic bag and squeeze him to death. It is awful to read such things by people who are so out of balance with nature. I tried to tell them that it is bad karma to do these acts, but, of course, they don't see it that way. So I have returned here where people are at peace with nature (especially raccoons) - it is easier to breathe on your thread, Dream. Keep it up.

OMG, what horrible people! There is something seriously wrong with someone like that. I hope they don't have children! Oh, that just makes me sick.

Cheryl, given Dennis' ADHD, I doubt that she COULD teach her kits to stay where she puts them; after all, if she can't do it, why would she try to teach it to her kits?? It's the lack of even being aware of where they are that appalls me, but she probably can't help that either.

Stillwood, I'm with you on the idiot drowning raccoons. First, there are many humane ways to try to deter raccoons from doing "damage" to your property/crops; killing them for it is just typical human arrogance/greed. Second, drowning is a completely unacceptable way to euthanize any species, since it is frightening, slow and possibly painful. Third, raccoons are native wildlife. They were here before we were, and will probably be here when our species is gone. WE are the invaders in their territory, not the reverse.

I have to disagree, though, on the English house sparrow. They are a species introduced by humans to this country; and next to human habitat destruction/encroachment, they and the starling are the greatest threat to the native songbird population. I have personally seen house sparrows kill rare native birds, like the bluebird, in order to steal their nesting site. Even our legal system recognizes the threat involved. As introduced species, the English house sparrow, starling, and pigeon/rock dove are the only birds excluded from protection by the federal Migratory Bird Act which makes it a crime to kill, trap, or disturb the nest of native birds. As a result, I have no issue with those who believe in euthanizing house sparrows, as long as it is done humanely. I know that many people believe that all life is sacred and I respect their viewpoint and their right to their opinion. But personally, I love the native songbirds and hate to see the way their populations are declining. Although I feel there is no way to reduce the threat of invasive species, since their populations are huge and increasing while the songbirds are declining, I also understand those who feel the need to try in some small way to address the balance. Just my viewpoint, and I'm not advocating the approach you read; just trying to explain why some people believe in it.

Like you, I far prefer Cheryl's welcoming approach to wildlife, and wish we all could/would emulate it.

Oh, but to put the poor little bird in a plastic bag and...omg, what kind of monster could do such a thing? Like you said, if you have to do it, do it humanely! How would they like it if someone did that to them?! grrrrr....

Agreed, KyWoods; euthanasia doesn't meet its definition if it isn't a quick and painless end.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

stillwood,

I'm so sorry that you had the awful experience(s) reading some other threads. At one time there was a major dispute between those at DG who wanted to share detailed information on how to dispatch non-native species and those who wanted to be able to come to the wildlife forum to read pleasant discussions about furry little critters w/o the risk of encountering such ghoulish discussions. As a result, the wildlife forum was split into 2 forums. In one forum, there was a rule forbidding ANY comments regarding hurting or killing wildlife. Anything in violation of the rule was subject to removal. The other forum permitted conversations about 'dispatching' (gotta love those words) problem wildlife.

Although back then, the 'no kill' forum contained a sticky thread at the top which warned people that conversations about killing animals were not allowed in that forum, I don't think most people knew about the rules, knew which forum was which, or even noticed the 'sticky' thread. Over time I think the idea of having 2 wildlife related forums which differed in that one allowed discussions of killing and one did not must have fallen by the wayside.

Anyhow, thank you very much for the lovely compliment. I'm glad that you are enjoying The Heidi Threads. The Heidi threads are home to a wonderful group of people who love and respect wildlife. For the most part we avoid discussions of harming wildlife because most of us come here to relax and to share and enjoy heartwarming stories about wildlife encounters.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Recently, I've been very busy with the job hunt and with things around the house and have been experiencing a brief mood in which I've just not felt like writing. Most of the time I love to write, but every now and then I have these short periods of temporary aversion to writing. These non-writing periods are always short lived and provide a time to recharge before the next flurry of writing. Self expression is both a wonderful catharsis and an inwardly exhaustive process of exploration. Sometimes the brain cells just need to take a break and do nothing for a while. And sometimes I need to put writing aside to make time for other things.

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know why I've been quiet lately. Everything is going fine, and I will be back soon.

I leave you with a few words about events at the buffet. Bast hasn't been back. Dennis has been missing the past few days. The daily buffet role has been pared down to a mere 3 or 4 raccoons now, probably in preparation for the kits' arrival. Heidi brought her kits one day but stashed them in a tree just over the fence and did not allow them to come into the yard. I counted 3. As past experiences have shown, that may or may not be the final count. Another raccoon, no ID, brought 2 kits. Those little guys actually came into the yard - at least, that is, until a foolish and overeager wannabe photographer frightened them away amidst a shower of flashing lights. Below is a pic of those 2 kits.

They are adorable!! The plant foliage in the picture so close to them really accentuates how small they are. Loks to me like they are about the size of a good DigSLR camera and maybe 2-3 lbs. Is that a good guess?

Cheryl, I just always wish you the best and remember you in my prayers. Sounds like what some call writers block. Whether it is the need of a break or lack of ideas everyone needs a vaation of some sort.

{{Hug}},
Sheri

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

A few more

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

another. same kits navigating fence

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.