New peony

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Have you seen this peony? I think it is beautiful. Wish I had the money to order it.

Celebrity Peony

Thumbnail by marti001
Kansas City, MO

It is a Chinese one that has been renamed for the American market. Celebrity is not it's real name. Perhaps someone here has the herbaceous peony book from the Chinese Forestry Publishing House. A friend has the book and I lusted after this one and one that looked like White Cap but the middle part had petaloids with the same color as the base. The book is in Chinese but the picture names have English titles. There are some very lush herbaceous peonies in China but they are hard to import to this country because of the fees.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I found this one in the new Jungs catalog.

I like it and am going to try and get it. cost: $27.95.

Kansas City, MO

It is very nice. I found it at Dutch Gardens for about double that. I posted on another site asking some of the wholesale growers if they could provide the Chinese name. If they can I will post it. As I stated earlier some of the ones from China that are very nice are never imported to the states.

I did get off my duff and ordered the herbaceous book. Will be about two weeks to two months before I receive from China.

Kansas City, MO

I have found out that it is a renamed Chinese peony. The following information is from Carsten's website. One of the Chinese wholesalers identified it for me. Marina thought it was 'Qi Hua Lu Lu but although close is not the same flower. There will be a difference in appearance of each flower on this type of peony. Sounds like you have a winner. Keep both names handy for when someone askes what it is you can also give the the correct Chinese name.

"Chinese Name 'Qi Hua Lu Shuang' sounds to our ears very exotic, but does not tell us. is the English translation of the name but we have an idea of the whole beauty of this magnificent peony: 'Exotic Flower Kissing Frost', or German, in free translation: "Exotic Flower kisses the Frost".
The lovely peony is one of the few multi-colored peonies and of extraordinary beauty.
The large anemone flowers can reach a diameter of 15 cm. The large outer petals are rounded and dyed in a purplish pink and impossible. Full-blown, they lie flat and look like a beautiful dish that presents the inner petals. The interior installations petals are narrow and pointed and in a bright colored pink stripes interspersed with white. Just an exotic flower that kisses the frost. In addition to surround the magical flowers with a delicate fragrance.
What could be better?
'Qi Hua Lu Shuang' shows its flowers in May. It is very floriferous and presented over the years a more beautiful and greater splendor.
It reaches a height of 100 cm."

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the information. I'm planning on buying one from Jung's and now will know its real name and origin.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Qi Hua Lu Shuang is available from China $2.00 as part of an order for 10,000 named varieties.

http://www.epeony.com

Good place to cross reference names.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

To bad I can't use 10,000 peonies. Of course its having that kind of money.

But I found the site interesting. Thanks.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

The post was not to imply you should buy 10,000 but to demonstrate the origin of a lot of the peonies sold by mail order and BBS. I purchased 3 tree peonies from Breck's last year and I could trace their names to this site. Brokers buy this stuff by the container loads and make a handsome profit. My tree peonies turned out to be junk and died but the purchase price was refunded.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I knew that, I just wish I had the money to buy something like that. But then I'd have to have a nursery and although I would love to have one. I just don't have the money to buy one. And if I had a nursery, I wouldn't want to sell any of my babies. Maybe I should just keep working on my yard. HA! HA!

Kansas City, MO

Just to be some what fair to many of the overseas vendors that do provide properly named products to this country many of the names are changed in intermediate nurseries where the eyes are grown to selling size. Once the plant is out of the nurseries hands the originating nursery can do nothing.

Although Oldgardenrose traced his to this nursery, the names and plants may be very old and used through out China by all nurseries. The best thing to do is to educate yourself. Sites like this and the one Oldgardenrose and I used and others are good but if you don't ask questions the less you will learn. I only knew that this was a rename was that I had drooled over it in a book a friend has that was printed in Chinese. Do I read Chinese, no, but drooling is a good thing.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Seems similar, but definitely not exotic. I'll see if I can find the name. It is similar to "Tom Cat" from Klehm's Song sparrow. Mine came from Costco about 4 years ago.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I think this is mine: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7927925

Also, see http://www.naturehills.com/product/gay_paree_peony.aspx

See the description about the large magenta center petals.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Marti, "Celebrity" is beautiful, and as Cathy pointed out, it does kind of resemble Tom Cat (which I have), though Tom Cat is more traditionally Anemone-styled and much less poofy. Thanks for posting the picture!

Dayton, OH

Say Marti, I have been shopping around on the internet for some peonies, and I was on "Bulbs Direct.com" and low and behold I saw the peony that you like for $16.99. I liked it and the one called Paeony Lactiflora Edulis Superba so much, I just had to have them, so I ordered them both. I have a total of 5 peonies coming in the mail now. My husband says you only live once. I just hope I get to see these next spring. Happy Gardening. By the way what I bought from Bulbs Direct.com did not charge for shipping.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2010 2:38 PM

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'll have to check out Bulbs Direct.com and see what I can do. Thanks

Dayton, OH

Marti let us know what happens.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Will do!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.