transplanting

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a new neighbor that is going to remove some older clematis vines that are flowering a little now. He was going to toss them and I said NO! I want them. Question, can they be transplanted now? Will they live?
What are their chances?
Help someone let me know asap so I can either say yea or nea

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Here are a couple of pics of the clematis

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes they can survive with proper digging and pruning..First hard prune it to about 12 inches from the soil line or above the 2nd or 3rd leaf axil from the ground...Then dig about 2 feet out from the center of the clematis all around and about 2+ feet deep..try to encompass all the roots..inspect the roots and if any are broken or torn..do a clean cut to them...dig a hole that will be about 2-4 inches deeper than they were and if you don't have a problem with critters dust the inside of the new planting hole with Bonemeal..plant it and remember to KEEP the SOIL MOIST ...clematis love to have their roots stay moist and want 6-8 hours sun...hope this helps...Jeanne

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, I will give it a try.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Let us know how the transplant goes.
And yes keep the soil moist.

Jeanne, I read some of your posts years ago on clems.
You are the greatest :)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I did the move of the old clematis yesterday. Major ordeal. I was growing almost to the top of their house and was just full of beautiful blooms. I almost hated to dig it up and cut it back but hopefully it will bloom like that in its new home in the front of my house. Keep your fingers crossed and I did everything you told me with the exception of the bone meal. I hope it does okay without that. I will post a photo later.
jan

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That's great news, Jan! Keep the roots cool.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes watering to keep the roots Moist is essential...goodluck and update us..Jeanne

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

This is where I planted it. Do you think I should trim it back more then I did?

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I generally prune mine above the 2nd leaf axil on all the vines before digging up..I can't really tell how many you left..the main objective now is for the roots to get re-established and not grow vines..watering to stay moist is imperative..once you see it starting to produce new leaves then you know it is happy and you have had a successful transplant..well done...Jeanne

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I'm not sure what the second axel is but does this picture help any to show you what I trimmed off. Should I trim more off?

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

The spot where the leaf comes out of the stem is the axle. I'd definitely go back much further.

Realize the poor plant has been traumatized by being dug up and needs time to adjust. It can't put energy into leaves, making new leaves and forming new roots at the same time.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Ah Ha, Now I understand. I just fell like such a butcherer by cutting it so far back but I understand what you are saying. When do you think it will bloom again? Maybe next year?|

Yes!

Medina, OH

I have two clems in containers. I know I should put them in the ground as soon as I can. Do the same rules apply about cutting them back? Am wondering about planting them around the back of the garage which would give them sheltered eastern exposure. How far from the foundation should I dig? Any advice would be appreciated. Susan

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

It never hurts to "prune" back any clematis when planting from a pot vs transplanting from one spot in your garden to another...Susan..why do you feel clematis need "a sheltered easter exposure"?...Clematis adore your Ohio winters..many clematis NEED that cold spell to perform well come Spring..some of the most vigorous and beautifully grown clematis that I have seen have been in your state of Ohio!!..so, instead of worrying about protection you should consider their "needs" to flourish and produce as they should..remember they love to have their roots stay moist...and above all they need at least 6-8 hours of sun to be vigorous..when planting near any foundation..remember to plant at least a foot away and especially that they have their water that no overhang prevents the soil from getting water or too close to the foundation that the foundation will suck the moisture from the soil..I have several clematis planted around my foundation but I also have a sprinkler system to make sure they are receiving their much needed drink.
Remember when you plant your clematis that are in your pot that you wait until fall..when temps are cool as that will be one less negative for your clematis to have to deal with..also..when you plant make sure you plant it deeper than the pots they are in..so you can at least get the first leaf axil under the soil as this will create a bigger and stronger plant...Jeanne
Thank you TP...Gourd..how's that baby doing?..seeing any new growth yet?..

Medina, OH

Jeanne-Thanks so much for your advice. I shall wait until September to plant. Will find that 6-8 hours of sun spot and keep my fingers crossed. S.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You are so welcomed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.