Purple Based Foliage (pbf)

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

These pics are for those not accustomed to some of the older irises listed as having pbf. Some of the newer cultivars can also have it so it is not unique to just the historics. I removed 'Romeo' from it's pot today preparing to replant it and give some away.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Closeup.

South Hamilton, MA

DH's medal winning miniature tall bearded iris has pbf & passes it on. I also have 2 other seedlings one violet, one purple. One has pbf which is very handy if they try to grow into each other.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Very healthy looking divisions! I have never seen PBF that dark before.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I rechecked visually just to be certain. It is almost a plum purple instead of the normal blue purple. I have a few more with pbf to dig but these were in a pot in full sunlight which could account for the darker color.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

I have NEVER :-) ever seen long healthy roots like that.How do you accomplish that ? what is your secret ?

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Those were in a 17qt pot, planted last summer. I may have had 3 in the same pot. I put about 6 inches of fine bark mulch (sold as hardwood fines) first and sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of fertilizer on that and fill the rest of the way with MG potting soil. The mulch in the bottom allows for good drainage. The deep fertilizer has time to break down before the roots are developed enough to reach it and be burned.

When you dig irises from a normal bed, the deep roots are usually broken off leaving 4 or 5 inches of stubs.

Pic of a pot dumped last year. 17qt with three of the common purple germanicas. First year after planting.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have to agree - I have never seen roots like that - WOW!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I had great luck with potting up my iris too:) I did the same thing with orchid potting mix (chunky stuff) in the bottom of the containers and slow release fertilizer and preen (my apt complex doesn't use a grass catcher on mtheir riding mower and the weed and grass cuttings in my containers was getting ridiculous).

I love the ones with pbf--just adds more color to the garden even when not in bloom.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

This is probably the more common pbf. This is an oldie dug from a normal bed.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Thank you. That very informative and also beautiful. And your plants are so healthy. I am going to plant my new ones which are on the way in three very large pots that currently do not have anything in them. I learn something from you guys every time you type. LOL.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Laurie Frazer has a long list of irises with PBF on her website
http://lfrazer.com/iris/irispbf.html
Has anyone heard from Laurie this year by the way? Her website is updated for 2010, but she hasn't answered my e-mails.

South Hamilton, MA

When planting those with pbf are easy to spot when not in bloom. In fact I have a couble of seedling siblins, similiar color, but one has pbf & one is green all the way. When I want to move them later on this yr, I can see who is who.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I sent Laurie an email also but have not heard from her. I was wondering myself.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Isn't it true that blue or black irises will most likey have the PBF?

South Hamilton, MA

not really

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

I was surprised to see that Glowing Smile is a PBF according to Laurie Frazer's list. As it is white with yellow splash on the falls. I had always believed PBF was only on dark colored iris too.

South Hamilton, MA

Not the case. Inheritance from parents is the key. I have a yellow miniature tall iris seedling which has very heavy pbf.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

One with PBF that I have is "Dauntless" (and Blue Shimmer I think.) They are really easy to keep separate. I wish all irises had special color coding!

South Hamilton, MA

red, blue & yellow?

Dauntless?! oh no... I have an iris that I thought was Daultless for years and it has no PBF!

Thumbnail by naomimade
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

It can be pretty faint. There are a lot of irises that resemble Dauntless.
I have had to look at many to decide that what I have is indeed Dauntless. It was here when I moved in 35+ years ago, tagless, of course! I will find a pic of mine and post it.

if it's not Dauntless, I will be very dissapointed.... alot of irises that I had gotted from the local Iris Society have been mislabeled..(I'm finding out this year.)..you'd think that they'd be more careful...::::sigh::::: it this is not Dauntless then this is the 3rd one that I've gotten from them that is wrong.

South Hamilton, MA

WE try our best to have the plants correct at our sale as does everyone. I wonder especially with historics if the sellers had the wrong plants ID themselves'

I don't know.. but so far this year, I've found that what was supposed to be 'Bubbling Over' isn't... but it looks like Stars and Stripes...which, if it is, I like it better... Looky Loo turned out to be some tall yellow.. and now Dauntless....I think there was one more.... can't think of it now....

Lebanon, OR

Well with us, you have a pretty good change that they will be correct, why? Because of where we get them from. I myself have never gotten one wrong from sell.

D

South Hamilton, MA

Bring the problem up at a meeting. There should be some correction taken. I have a few pictures of plants which I am taking to our sale so people can see what they are buying--these are not TBs. so they can come back if a mistake has been made.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Your "Dauntless" looks like mine by the photo, but mine does have a subtle PBF.

Good idea irisMA, lots of the ladies don't seem to care about names.... but they should!

Your irses are great Dee... I will gladly tell anyone that!!! &:-D

South Hamilton, MA

You don't hide color in a clothing store ........... so people get what they want. The same goes for colors of plants & the correct name helps. Have a no ID section if they don't want to bother.

South Hamilton, MA

Of course Dee's plants are great!

That's just it irisMA... they do!
But they get leftovers from the Denver sale, etc. and bring them down to Colo. Springs for our sale.... and they say they sometimes get mixed up..
I will try to bring the subject up next meeting.... I wonder how many other complaints they get....

Dee's iris are good even when the post office looses the package for a week! Stupid P.O...that was last year...and they did not offend me just once... they mutilated my daylilies package this year too! make me want start swingin'.... my fist that is....!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.