Need Identification Please

Crozet, VA

Is there anyone who knows what type of Iris these are? Thanks.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Judging from the narrow leaves and flower shapes, I would guess Siberian.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Japanese :) If you feel the leaf it will have a ridge in the middle of the leaf.

South Hamilton, MA

I agree with Polly. flower petals way too wide for a siberian.

Crozet, VA

Thank each one of you. When it cools down later I will go out and see if there is a ridge down the middle. I appreciate this so much. Do any of you know what the characteristics of a Louisiana Iris are? We are not sure where these particular Iris came from and again didn't label them when planting so it is our fault that we don't know what to call them. Appreciate everyone's help.

Ruby

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Ruby, I sell siberians and Japanese. No question it's Japanese.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

It looks like my Gracieuse whatever, meaning it is one of those Japanese iris seedlings that the Dutch slapped a name to and then sell wholesale. It is very commonly sold at nurseries and garden centers. Not a registered iris. I have purchased it several times, sometimes under some other made up name, only to be "surprised" by another "Gracieuse"!

Thumbnail by pardalinum
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pard. I was going to say that, but didn't want to get involved in that not registered thing again. Yes, Gracieuse Whatever.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

This one had a tag with a picture of a 6 fall dark blue-purple spashed with white and a name that I have forgotten but I did look it up when I bought it and that name was not registered. I still thought that I would at least get something similar to the photo on the tag. LOL!!

Still, I continue growing it as I don't think there is any such thing as an ugly Japanese iris. Maybe poor form, small flowers, skinny petals etc.. but never completely ugly!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I sure wouldn't toss out the one Ruby is growing, either. It's very pretty. And I don't think I've ever seen an ugly JI.

But Pards post above just goes to show, if you want what you ordered, buy from a grower. Not those big box stores, or everything nurseries at home or online.

So Ruby, what you have is definitely a Japanese Iris, and I would agree it's the one that goes by Gracieuse. But that's an unregistered iris. If you trade it, make sure your trading partner knows that. Just call it the pretty blue and white Japanese iris.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Ruby, you also asked what the characteristics of Louisiana iris were. I don't know if you still wanted to know that or not.

Louisiana irises are native to Lousiana and Texas, up the Mississippi into Ohio, and east to South Carolina. They love water , and grow in swamps and riverbanks, but also grow well in garden beds. They produce flowers in various colors, usually six to eight flowers per stem, and the flowers (on hybrids) are usually around 6 inches wide. The stems vary from straight to zigzag. Foliage is dark green to blue green. The standards on the flowers droop down, as do most water loving irises, (unlike bearded irises where the standards stand up).

Here's a great place to look at pictures (and to buy!) Louisianas.

http://www.zydecoirises.com/

Crozet, VA

Thank you all again. What an education I received by asking this question. Actually my husband had the question so I will let him read this thread himself. Oh yes Polly, we still wanted to know about the Louisianna Iris. Thank you for the link up. It looks really interesting. I have to say the same that you two said.....I don't believe there is an ugly Iris. Thank you everyone for the info.

Ruby

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Just my 2 cents worth but another good clue is the false goat's beard or Astilbe blooming in the picture with your iris. It blooms at the same time as Japanese irises. Prairie Twilight and noid pink Astilbe chinensis.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Crozet, VA

Thank Mittsy. They are certainly some beautiful colors from your garden. Thank you for sharing.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.