Flowering Quince

Medina, OH

I planted this shrub over a year ago and it is doing very well-lots of lush foliage, but no flowers. What am I doing wrong? Susan

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Quite possibly you're not doing anything wrong. Many shrubs won't bloom the first year or two they're in the ground--they work on roots first, then some top growth, then flowers. They bloom earlier in the spring so I think you won't see anything this year, but hopefully next year you'll get some flowers. I would check and make sure it's getting enough sun and that you're not giving it too much high nitrogen fertilizer, but if you're OK on both those things and the plant looks healthy then likely you just need to be patient.

Medina, OH

ecrane3-I have only fed it with well rotted horse manure. Guess I was too eager for the blooms. I'll be patient until next spring. Thanx. Susan

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Skeeler - as I recall, it took a couple of years before my flowering quince started to bloom. I have the old fashioned taller ones. Once they do bloom, the one bush I have has been really reliable. And one was all I needed since they get so big. It undergoes a major trimming every two years, but I like them so much more than the shorter ones since I like to use the branches for arrangements.

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

I have a 5 yo Texas Scarlet flowering quince, about 4'x4', and it only has a few flowers near the base each year. I've seen other larger ones around town that are loaded with flowers each year. I recently read somewhere (maybe here on DG) that "new growth bears next year's flowers" for flowering quince. Do I need to prune to "inspire" new growth, or just be more patient?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.