zone 5 hydrangea plant?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

hi fellow hydrangea lovers,
i have a beautiful blue hydrangea plant that was given to me. it is from starts and resides in a 2 gallon planter. it is still new and i fear for its life during our upcoming winter. should i bring it indoors for the winter? let it go dormant indoors? should i leave it in the garage? help???? our first frost is only a week away.
debi z

Hi Debi' I'm in zone 5 also and grow hydrangeas'No expert by anymeans though,lost 2 a few years ago' My little Sister Teresa is now only 8in.tall. I planted it in fall or late summer last year and mulched good,also kept watered through the winter'We have clay soil so watering is tricky to say the least. We also don't have a garage so my plants either go in the ground or come inside'This past winter here broke all records for cold/snow' She didn't appear until very late spring and luckily the bunnies didn't get her,whew' Didn't mean to go on and on but it's up to you what to do'I myself would go with the garage' Good luck,let us all know' Sis'

I'm in zone 5. Is this a Nikko Blue Hydrangea? They are hardy in our zone & you could plant it now & mulch it well for the winter. Other good hardy Zone 5 hydrangeas are PeeWees & OakLeaf Hydrangeas. You shouldn't need to winter this over inside if you can get it in the ground. Any idea what kind it is before you do anything?

Debi,if it has a good root system,then I'd plant outside and mulch good.

Also keep a close eye on it as with mulching,and the snow melt,might rot'

My Nikko was my 1st hydrangea and am on my 3rd,starting over,lol. I have much more to deal with though,hot/dry constant winds,clay soil,which I amend with rotted leaves and critters(wild) munching/digging'Keep us posted' Sis'

Cordova, MD

Deb- I tend to be overprotective- when in doubt- keep it in the garage with some sun or inside... I,m too afraid of my little plants and the cold!
-JSS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.