nicki blue not blooming yet

Harleysville, PA

Just bought a Nicki Blue from Lowes and it does not have any blooms on it yet. Its been planted in the ground for a week now but no flowers are on it. What can I do to make it bloom??

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There's nothing you can do for this year--if it was kept in the proper conditions that it could have set buds, then it'll bloom without you having to do anything. But if it's too young, or was too cold over the winter, or was pruned too late in the year last year then it won't bloom this year no matter what you do.

It only blooms on old wood, so if you want it to bloom next year, you'll need to make sure not to prune it too late in the year, and you'll also need to protect it over the winter. You're in a cold enough zone that if you don't protect it, the buds are liable to freeze off and you'll get few/no flowers the following year. Also be aware that hydrangeas can take a couple years to really get going--so even if you do everything right this year it may not put on a spectacular show next year. (there's a saying "first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap" to describe how some shrubs establish themselves, and my hydrangeas seem to follow that rule pretty well)

Harleysville, PA

Thanks I have two quick fire hydrangas and they bloom so pretty and they have no protection during winter but this one does not have any blooms so I guess Ill wait till next year to see how it does. Probaby should have gotten one that was blooming but they were in bigger pots and at the time I wanted a smaller one sos choose this one.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Quickfire is a different species of hydrangea and it blooms on new wood, so it doesn't need winter protection. Nikko Blue is a cultivar of H. macrophylla and it blooms on old wood. In your zone, hydrangeas that bloom on old wood are prone to getting zapped by cold and not blooming well unless you take steps to protect them. You may get lucky some years and get some blooms from it without protecting it, but you'll be much happier with the results if you do protect it. If you like that type of hydrangea but really don't want to bother with winter protection, then I'd return Nikko and get something from the Endless Summer or Forever and Ever series instead. They bloom on both old and new wood so you can skip the protection and still get the new wood blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.