ID Please - I'm in love!

Tulsa, OK

Okay while searching the web came across this coleus - I'm in LOVE. Does anyone know the name so I can track down where I can buy this lovely??

Thumbnail by ultimateshopper
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

That's good old Alabama Sunset. AKA Texas Parking Lot, Bellingrath Pink, Alabama and probably several other names. Should be easy to find.

Chris

BTW, it's right at the top of this coleus page behind the words "For gardeners...by gardeners".

This message was edited Jun 18, 2010 3:50 PM

Elk River , MN(Zone 4b)

ultimateshopper, you have D-Mail

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Seems too bright for Alabama Sunset.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

mighty pretty though.

Tulsa, OK

Thanks for the names guys! Will be adding this one to my coleus collection! :)

Alabama Sunset hates the Virgin Islands, is brown with chartreus new growth. Maybe I'll put the buggar in full sun, see if it's happy there.
Gradually, of course.

This is the absolutely prettiest it's looked. Getting sun until about 11 am, it'd be so wilted! Then I put it in dappled shade, and it turned brown.

Thumbnail by
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

As Chris pointed out above, another name for "Alabama Sunset" is "Texas Parking Lot". With a name like that , I bet it can take a lot of heat and sun. Give it a try Molamola! It's a variety that's been around for a long time.

Okie Dokie, It'll be moving around to the east side of the house in about five minutes.

Does anyone have a photo of Alabama Sunset(West side of the house???) in a full sun Texan parking lot?? lol.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Around here I've seen the lighter version listed as Alabama Sunset, and the deeper pink version listed as the Texas Parking lot. I think people may have been pinching the color they liked better, and sprouted them to make more....and are maybe attempting to separate the 2 different tones. (although sun exposure can also indeed change the coloring of the same plant)

Either way, it's always one of my favorites! :)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Great observation Mary! Do you find any difference between the two other than coloration? For instance, I think Texas Parking lot is sturdier, thicker stems and shorter internodes, so could handle life in a parking lot better.

I love how "pinching" contributes to selection, natural or not!

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.