Alpine Strawberries

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

This year has been a real learning spree for me. I planted Mignonette Strawberry seeds earlier this year but only two developed into a plant, unfortunately my dad killed them by accident. To replace them he bought me some Alexandria. By the time they had arrived I had figured out my problems with them and now I have 6 cell trays filled with seedlings with first leaves. I'm excited.

Apparently what I was doing wrong was not using seedling mix and watering from the top, both of which ultimately did the "seedlings" in previously. Now I have organic seed starting mix and am watering from the tray.

I'm hoping to buy some other varieties of Alpine. Does anyone grow them and if so, what is your favorite?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I haven't grown them, but some people have mentioned Migonette. Also Yellow Wonder is said to be very good and does not attract birds. Alexandra is larger than earlier forms - you are doing very well with it.

Greensburg, PA

Edible Landscaping sells a white runner-ing strawberry with good flavor and great vigor. It is Alpine-like and strictly speaking may not be an actual Alpine but it is very hardy and makes a great edible ground cover. I believe the name is Christina White.

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Quote from krowten :
Edible Landscaping sells a white runner-ing strawberry with good flavor and great vigor. It is Alpine-like and strictly speaking may not be an actual Alpine but it is very hardy and makes a great edible ground cover. I believe the name is Christina White.

Is Edible Landscaping a website?
Christina White, I've never heard of that one. That might be the one they had at the nursery I visited not too long ago. I found Lipstick on a local store's ground cover table and they told me in our area they won't produce berries so they are just calling it decorative. I don't think they told her that because she's producing strawberries.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

PlantScout lists eleven sources for alpine strawberries. Edible Landscaping is a good nursery - I've been pleased with my purchases there.

Harrison Valley, PA(Zone 5a)

If you are not successful because they sell out fast, D-mail me.
blue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.