Rock gardens?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Does anyone have them?
How about a dry creek bed?
I'd like to see some pics and let me know what types of plants you have planted in there.

Thanks!!!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Really??? No one???

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I love the look of rock gardens. That is a very nice pic. I do not have one, but I do have a good place to put one someday. Just couldn't bring myself to lug rocks back into the garden after always digging them out of every garden I want to plant. They do make sense specially in the middle of August when water from rain seems to be far from abundant. Also the color and forms of just the foliage of rock garden plants are very interesting. Hope you get some interest in this thread.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The problem I'm going to have here is that there is absolutely ZERO rocks in my yard, I'll need to get some from people willing to donate or have them delivered(which I'll have to have the river rock delivered for the dry creek bed anyway) Then I was thinking one of these...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_i_0?rh=i%3Agarden%2Ck%3Awood+garden+bridge&keywords=wood+garden+bridge&ie=UTF8&qid=1276630294
Connecting the pathway over the dry creek, to a sitting area.

Any thoughts on what shrubs(besides conifers) would fit into a rock garden theme???? I want to section off the area by the bench to block the view from the road

There are times like these I wish I had a MAC, so I can draw pics....

But here's my elementary drawing (from paint) If anyone knows a free program that I can do better drawings in please let me know!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The area in front of the house to the right is the driveway the area in the bottom is one of those turnaround spots where hubby parks his work van. So ideally would like this to be a good looking entrance inviting people into our yard. This is the only way to get into the backyard when your outside.

On the lower right corner I'm thinking a large ornamental grass. I have pavers that I'm going to edge the lower and right edge and then use the same ones for the walk.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I think you have a good plan going there. Like those curved bridges.I had this article saved on my computer. You may have already seen it but it has some good info on dry stream beds.
http://www.finegardening.com/design/articles/dry-stream-bed.aspx

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I didn't post this before because it didn't seem like the kind of rock garden you were interested in, but since there hasn't been much activity here, maybe it will help. The conifers on the mound of soil behind the rocks on the right are microbiota decussata. This was taken last fall and kind of far away. I could get another one tomorrow, closer up, if you are interested. The "river stone" for the dry water feature is from the locally available glacial deposits, put through a sieve to get the right size. The larger stones are also courtesy of the glaciers--they are glacial erratics

Thumbnail by granitegneiss
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks good, granite
I really wish we had more natural rocks around here, I only find those orange pebbles in my soil

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

jen - this may surprise you - i use rocks in all my garden beds and i am in the process of filling the slope along my driveway with stone that have interesting lichens and shapes. although like granite i am not sure of what you are looking for.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Well I've got lots of prominent exposed rock in my garden, but it's not a traditional "rock garden" with alpines and drought tolerant plants, etc. That's because my rocks happen to be in 99% shade, which rules out most of those sun loving plants. I've got one are that gets partial sun where I stuffed a couple dwarf conifers and some sedums, but that's it. I wish I had the sun for a traditional rock garden, as I do love the look.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, I got rocks, but they are all brownstone. LOL
There used to be a large stone supplier on the what I think was the Old Lincoln Highway in Langhorn, there was an exit on 95 that went down a divided highway to the Neshaminy Mall and Trevose. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Bill, Really??? I never knew.

I was really looking just for low maintenance. Basically when I thought rock garden, thinking garden full of rocks...LOL

Hubby of course, wanted something with not a lot of flowers, I figured this way can add a lot of dwarf conifers and make him happy.
At least not going to be an extra parking area.

I have such eclectic taste that I having trouble deciding garden themes.( I pretty much love them all) except modern/contemporary

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

There is one on the property ,it's DD's

Thumbnail by ge1836
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I'd love to help you, Jen, but no rocks down here. I DO love the look of a dry steam bed.

Thomaston, CT

I have plenty of rocks, but no rock garden....I love one built into ledgy rock, so that it looks natural...there are many lovely plants for traditional rock gardens...Wards Nursery in Great Barrington, MA has several display tables with them.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ok so....let's hear some ideas from everyone.....if you have a totally blank area that has to be reworked...the only thing you have to consider is there has to be room for the tractor to get thru.
Let's get those creative juices flowing!!!
I'm going to start a seperate thread to see if I get any more involvement.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.