AE AE Musa...and and who knows what Kinds of musa???

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

ahhhh my first time to this forum! and i'm so happy to be here..i hope i hope i hope...

well she has eluded me forever and finally i got it!!!!....along with a couple other thai musa....here's my little girl...hope she can make it!!

this little ae ae came small but healthy...

i rec' two others one with no cultivator one i think is another AE AE....the other is a bright lime colored leaf....very beautiful!!

i'm NEW to the tropical board...i have designed tropical gardens in northern landscapes for over 25 years... (retired)...not that anyone's asking...i recently moved from a sub zone 4 to a 9b....so one can just imagine that i am in somewhat of nirvana....however, finding it difficult to grow a "tropical" garden in a tropical zone!! LOL

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

he's handsome and although sold as a thai "Yellow" and white variegated musa....i also believe he's a ae ae......he came in at a whopping 4 feet! quite camera shy and i hope he makes it!!

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

wow...these shot up through the roof after only approx 4 weeks growth!!

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

don't know the actual name of this one either...it's suppose to be a yellow musa...however it's more lime color...beautiful! so far

Thumbnail by tobee43
Saint Petersburg, FL

Good luck with your Aeae! I know I was nervous buying mine, but it's done well for me.

Most likely the other varigated is a Tanee. I've heard of these being sold as Aeaes in error, but never the other way around. I believe the main difference is the whiteness of the variegation. The Aeaes are white and green, the Tanees are more of a pale yellow and green.

It's hard to tell on the green one, but if it's chartreuse, it could be a Margarita.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

carolyn...i'm rather excited about the 4 footer...because it's definitely NOT pale yellow...could i have just happenstance upon this big ae ae....?? so it may not be the tanee????...which i have no problem with either...but it's most surely white and green....just like the little ae ae....not a sign of any pale yellow as yet.

yes...the other is more a chartreuse than yellow or deeper green...almost the color when a brand new leaf comes out and then turns darker as it gets older...this appears to keep that gorgeous color...i hope i hope i hope!!!

Saint Petersburg, FL

Either way, you've got yourself a bevy of beauties, toobee!

I'll probably add a Tanee myself at some point, as I like the look of them. If I recall correctly though they have large inedible seeds, so not a good eating banana. Not that it matters much, as pretty as it is.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

o..i most certainly am looking forward to adding one....i surely do not believe that although this was sold as what i believe was to have been a tanee...that's ok for now you say...i got a few beauties and am indeed very pleased with them!

i can get eating banana's down the road for 44 cents a pounds...i'd rather have the outstanding foliage in my gardens for now :)

Mulberry, FL

You and me both where did you get it I have wanted a verigated banana ever since I layed eyes on them to much to pay 100 buck I have bought bananas thru ebay crap shoot most of the time the plants are so small you don't get what they said it was

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

i just happenstanced onto them!! it's taken YEARS...i will let you know if i can anymore leads on any!!!

i do know there were a couple of GOOD sellers on ebay that had them..i will check to see if i still have any info...there was one that was really reliable that's here in florida!!

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

go to e-bay and look at the banana tree section of plants and you will see a person named mgmg; something or other at the end. She has AeAe

Bronson, FL

I just got an AE AE off of ebay (waiting on it to come) How is yours doing? I had one years ago and forgot to bring it in one night and lost it I was NOT happy! I also bought a TANEE off ebay. Can't wait to get them. I have like 20 other banana species as well! I am not sure on your lime green one though. Until they flower sometimes its impossible to tell!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Beautiful banana's.. i to would love a aeae, but like Danasplants said $100 is to much for me.. I just started with banana's last summer. I lived in canada zone 6a and banana's were not available that i found.. Moving to Alabama last summer has opened a whole new world of gardening possibilities, but ju st like you tobee43 i'm having issues with my pLants.. things i grew in canada and had to dig up every fall, i'm strugling with here, the amount of water and the bugs, oh the bugs... most of those are new to me also.. I just added two ruby's, i believe they are zone 8?? either way they will have to be drought in, so maybe if i can make these last for a year or two i'll give the aeae a try..
either way enjoy your bananas they are beauties
jen

Mulberry, FL

Smurf you are a smart one alot of people jump right in and buy then they die then they figure out how to grow them lol always a costly mistake

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

here's mine.

Thumbnail by homer1958

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.