Suggestions for Flowering Vine in zone 9a

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Anyone have a suggestion for a flowering vine to grow up a trellis on the West side of a house in zone 9a?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

In your climate there'll be tons of options...any thoughts on color, fragrance (or not), big showy flowers vs smaller ones, etc?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, something fast growing lol. We do have freezes here so it would have to be a plant that could withstand an occasional day below freezing in winter. I was thinking maybe a jasmine?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Besides the Jasmine, there's these, I grow all of them so know they work in our zone.

Passion flowers (many of which are hardy in our zone)
Lophospermum erubescens- http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Scrophulariaceae/Lophospermum/erubescens/cultivar/0/
I grow both the white and lavender, cold AND heat hardy !

Mexican Flame vine will bloom in a part sun/shade or full sun.
Thunbergia grandiflora
Corkscrew vine
Butterfly Orchid Vine

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks mjsponies! I'll check them out

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

I have been using Carolina Jessamine to cover up old ugly ornamental iron on my house.

They're native and fast growers. The dark green leaves and bright yellows flowers look nice in the early spring.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Rangoon Creeper, Clematis, Mandevilla Laxa, Bower Vine, Wisteria, those all do well in our zone but Wisteria is very aggressive so I would not personally want it near my house. There are so many choices in our zone, really depends on your expectations.

Edited to add:
Annie's Annuals has a really nice list of vines, many of which are our zone and might give you some ideas
http://www.anniesannuals.com/plant_lists/list_custom.asp?start=0&type=Vine&color=Any&lifespan=Any&availability=Show%20All&view=Pictures&water=Any&sun=Any&count=36&letter=Any&catagory=Any&account=none&searchword=none&zone=Any&Submit=Display%20Results

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010 7:58 AM

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.. I have alot of options to work with now :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.