what other color would work good with purple

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

my perennial's are all blooming purple.trying to figure out what other color i can work in.i like red but cant think of to many plants with red blooms.small perennials 24-24 inch i think will work.i would like this garden to pop.i'm zone 4

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I like lilies.They dont bloom all summer but I also have Coreopsis that lasts longer.
This is a short lily Tiny Sensation with Coreopsis Autumn Blush

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is Salmon Classic with Caradonna Salvia which will rebloom when deadheaded after first bloom.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Orange and yellow flowers look good with purple.

There are red asiatic lilies. I also like pink (bright or pale) with purple, actually most colors go with purple.

Lake Charles, LA

White goes with purple. Do Pentas grow in your area?
Purple goes with white, pink, blue, yellow, gold, orange, almost anything. Yes, it does. Oh, I have some pale yellow petunias and they are very pretty with purple.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Get some sedums. The bloom in various shades of white, pink, red, and yellow. They come in short and tall varieties. And the foliage is different from other perennials. You can even get some with purple foliage or variegated foliage.

And don't forget ornamental grasses and plants just for the foliage texture or color. Lambs ears and bronze fennel are two of my favorite plants simply for the foliage. And the black swallowtails love the fennel.

Roses also come in lots of colors, shapes and sizes. And bearded irises would do well for you. There are oodles of colors and color combinations in those.

Daylilies of course come in a wide variety of colors. I'm a daylily nut myself. Dormants would do best in your climate. They need a resting period, so your winters would suit them. When choosing daylilies, always check Tinkers database, http://db.tinkersgardens.com/ to see if the daylily you're interested in has a "dormant habit".

I kind of have the opposite problem. My garden is mostly daylilies. I get about two months or so of color from them, and then it's over. This year I'm adding in other perennials for a longer display as well as variety.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Lake Charles, LA

I have a varigated sweet potatoe vine, with a purplish/pink in it, along with green and white. That would be pretty.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

ButterflyChaser, I'd LOVE to sit in the middle of that garden and drink in the beauty!! WOW!!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Dirtygirl, come on up! We'll dig around in the dirt and then sit in the gazebo and drink some fruit smoothies. My goal is to get "finished" someday and then sit on my porch and paint my gardens. But If I keep changing everything every year, I'll never get done! The garden you see above will look very different next year as I've come up with themes for each region of my garden. So a lot of those daylilies will be moved to other areas of the garden and more perennials will be added for a longer blooming exhibition.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Fruit smoothies??? That looks like a Margarita Gazebo!!

BTW...I just showed the picture to my 7 year old son ((he likes to tinker in the flower beds with me)) and he said "WOWWEE, when will our flower bed look like that?"

Lake Charles, LA

That fruit smoothie makes me think of lime green. That color would be good with purple also. Purple is just an all around great color!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

My fruit smoothies are purple, due to the blueberries and raspberries I put in them. Purple smoothies go good with any color. LOL

Lake Charles, LA

Yum, I just put a blueberry cobbler in the oven. I have access to blueberries every summer.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Purple and lime green are very cool together.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.