Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

single

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

another

Thumbnail by jmorth
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Jmorth, thanks so much for sharing those! Post #7886489 is my favorite. They are definately sonniferums, the leaves look just like my hungarian poppies.

~Daniel

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I love your poppies! Here was my favorite this year.

Thumbnail by tggfisk

wow. That borders on hypnotizing. Great! I had a Lauren's Grape bloom today, way too beautiful to leave out side, so it's on the kitchen table with cerinthe; anybody growing that one?

~Daniel

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I had a few of them thanks to a generous dger:) Isn't that what this one is?

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Here it is with calendula candyman orange.

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are annuals alright. They're beautiful jmorth.
I am waiting for mine to get going.Buds are drooped so maybe today.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I can't EVER seem to get my seeds to germinate :( I've tried and tried! Maybe they aren't fresh? I have some peony poppies as well!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had germination problems this year too. I am waiting for blooms to see what did germinate.
I tried a April sow because we were still having night temps in the 30's. No luck.They really want a cold winter before they will co-operate.
Luckily I saved half the seeds and will sow in Dec.as usual.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Is that the problem? They want cold? Like winter cold?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Absolutly.They cant germinate if they dont have a long cold spell.I direct sow in bare(not mulched) ground between December and mid March.
scratch the ground and scatter the seeds,not too broadly or you might weed them out in the spring.

Ohh... Lauren's Grape and Candyman Orange. I have both of those blooming, but they are separate. Drat. lol.

Josh, I sowed my Falling in Loves last October and they bloomed from late April till now (heat got to them). I never saw them germ. Just plain soil. Then snow. The the snow melts are there are 3 stocky plants! Just like magic! Californias should be sown 2 weeks before the last frost date though, they don't appreicate the cold.

Hope this helps,

~Daniel

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Glad you liked the color combo Daniel. I thought that it might be dynamic. So funny 'cause I usually shove things in,but actually planned that time. Another combo that I like has a different calendula mix and those 'black' bachelor's buttons. Black Ball maybe. I need to deadhead and catch a good pic of that.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I just ordered some Peony Poppies and White Persians :) Hopefully I can get it right this time :)

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I plan to try spreading some of them into the beds this winter. Usually I wintersow them only for the fact that I plant them around in the beds with bulbs and don't want competition especially for the lily stems. I am thinking about some nice intermingling in another area though.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What is your intermingling plan?
What other plants will you combo with?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Plan. For me that's usually a 'I've got to plant this SOMEwhere' thing, lol! I'll have to mull that one over since the peony types seem to do well with things to prop them up. I hate staking.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ohhhh yes any of the big flowered ones. I learned my lesson last year. Now I have them planted with Lilies.

Tggfisk, all of your combos sound good. You can help me arrange my garden next year!
I found a purple Gazania. I think it is a self-sow from last year.
I collect at least 5 pods of Falling in Love today.
AND, a poppy bigger than my fist bloomed. It is lavender, doubled, with all the frills and white trim. Fading fast in this hot weather.

There is a candy man orange blooming today. And a new Lauren's grape. Next year, Poppies, Nastys, Calendulas and Violas are going together. I can't stand them all spread out over 2 acres.

~Daniel

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

That sounds like a poppy that I need, lol! Man I wish I had 2 acres.

Those Candyman Oranges are so vibrant. I think that I will always want them mixed with the LG.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a bunch of poppy seeds if anyone is interested :)

New Milford, CT

Me, me, I'm interested! I traded for some Lauren's Grape last year, wintersowed, got 2 seedlings and neither is taller than 6" so I'm not going to get any blooms. Can I send you postage?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Of course you can :) I'm in the trade list so you can find me there! I have Persian White And Red Peony, I'll send you some of both!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I'd love some red ones:))
Bev

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Perfect, I'll send out as soon as I get your postage :)

Hating those poppies now. How can such beauties becomes horrid beasts??? The hungarian poppies were nice though...

~Daniel

Stewart, TN

Jmorth, I am dying for some poppies. How did you get your bed of self-seeding poppies started?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.